cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

nilsatis
Grafter

More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

Hi, I am a relative newcomer to the forums but after reading some of the issues reported on here, I have been advised to start my own thread about my problems.
I have been with PN since June this year and things were going fine until late Sept / early Oct. It started off with my connection dropping for a few minutes at a time and then coming back up. I reported the fault and went through the fault diagnosis. The upshot was that my line would be monitored and for a week or so, the problem went away.
It came back - I went through the process again and following investigation by CSC it stopped happening for about 10 days.
However, from mid Nov it has re-appeared and has stayed with me ever since getting gradually worse. The number and frequency of the dropouts increased and to further compound my misery, this week my speed dropped from around 1.6 to 0.16 Mg. (132 kbps)
In the hope that someone may be able to throw some light on it, I have carried out some of the tests suggested in other threads:
BT Speed Tester
Download speed achieved during the test was - 118 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1728 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Current Line Speed
Telephone number:
    01234******
Phone exchange:
    LOWER SHELTON
Estimated line speed:
    5 - Checked on 2009-06-16 17:37:53
Current line speed:
Router Stats
System Up Time 03:01:29
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA         4154 3765 0         89         378          02:28:23
LAN 100M/Full 4355 4627 0         338         87           03:01:28
WLAN 11M/54M 289 0         0         8         0           03:01:15
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 192 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation         7.0 db 21.0 db
Noise Margin 54.5 db         28.0 db
Actually, whilst typing this at 10.40, I have noticed that my connection has dropped again so I'll have to C&P this and try again later.
Now 15.30 and I'm back on so I'll get this on while I have chance.
Thanks in advance for any help that may be forthcoming. I'll try to keep a check on replies but..................
48 REPLIES 48
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: More Line Droputs & Speed Issues

were those router stats taken when you were connected to the test socket with nothing else connected
nilsatis
Grafter

No, those were taken from my normal workstation.
I meant to add to my OP that I am not particularly technically gifted so would appreciate any techie stuff in easy to understand language - as you might explain to a 5 yaer old.  Smiley
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend

OK - until Anotherone comes along I will do my best.
There are two possible sources for this problem - in your property and between you and the exchange. The thing we need to do is to rule out any problems within your property as that is within your control and we can help you identify it and hopefully fix it.
The first step is to find where the telephone connection comes into your house and see if the first socket (called the master socket) look a bit like the picture on my first post with a BT logo on it.
This socket has a removable lower section and behind that is another telephone socket. This socket is not connected to any other wiring in your house.
If you connect the router to this with nothing else connected (you will still need a filter) can you post the router stats. You should also try it with another filter and another connecting cable if possible and see if anything changes.
nilsatis
Grafter

Ok Oldjim, thanks - wonderfully explained.  Smiley
I'll give it a go a report back if and when I can get back on.
If it's any help, I was asked to do all of this when the problem first occurred - although I did not take any stats - and there was no change. I have also tried another router, replaced the ethernet cable and all the micro filters but all in vain.
I experienced a similar problem about 20 months ago with my previous ISP. Eventually, a BT engineer came and checked the line. He went away and did something in the green box at the end of the road and immediately solved the problem. He said that he re-routed my line????
Recently, there have been a number of BT Openreach vans in the village and particularly at the green box at the end of the road. This nicely co-incided with my drop in speed so whether this has had any impact on my problem.... who knows?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Somebody mention my name Cheesy
As you are already suffering from connection drops, here's a very important tip -
When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM (Dynamics Line Management) from thinking you have a worse intermittent line problem, other wise this will result in you getting even slower speeds
Once you are connected to the test socket, leave it there for now, whilst we then ask for further information, and this will hopefully help us see what is going on.
Edit: As this isn't truly a rant & rave (although I understand how you will be feeling), when you've posted back, I'll ask Jim to move this thread to the Broadband Speed board.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

@Chris,
Appreciate you getting involved.
I am not sure at the moment that it is a speed problem per se but a mulriple disconnection problem.
However with the current forum layout the only other place is Community Support and it will get lost there.
@nilsatis
The fact that BT have been fiddling is worrying and may just indicate that someone else has been having problems. Is it possible to ask around.
nilsatis
Grafter

Apologies for the delay but its a major upheaval to move everything to the master socket.
However, I have connected to the test socket as advised and the router stats are:
System Up Time 00:07:46
WAN PPPoA 1104 1783 0 207 5150 00:07:18
LAN 100M/Full 384 0 0 169 0 00:07:45
WLAN 11M/54M 2955 2569 0 6119 804 00:07:31

Connection Speed 2912 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 14.8 db 20.0 db
Noise Margin 54.5 db 27.0 db

This is mostly gobblygook to me but I await your analysis with interest. Thanks.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Those figures look very unhealthy.
Can you get hold of another router and filter as that is the next thing that needs to be eliminated.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Which modem/router is that by the way? I see it's Interchanging Line Attenuation and Noise Margin figures (that's not causing a fault, just a bug).
nilsatis
Grafter

I am using a Netgear DG834GT router.
I have tried another router as part of the initial fault diagnosis but it made no difference. I can try it again if you think it will make a difference but it may take me a day to get hold of it again. The filter is new but I have jusr replaced it wih anorther one and run the stats again but they look fairly similar to me.
System Up Time 01:30:36
WAN PPPoA 23227 35917 0 609 7990 01:30:08
LAN 100M/Full 732 0 0 24 0 01:30:35
WLAN 11M/54M 61462 53944 0 9741 1797 01:30:21

Connection Speed 2912 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 12.7 db 20.0 db
Noise Margin 54.5 db 27.0 db

I have asked around my neighbours to see if they have had any problems due to all the BT activity in my immediate vicinity but they all seem to be ok. I'm wobering if they have undone the fix they did for me last time this happened.
Is it worth trying another router again?
Anotherone
Champion

In case there is a fault (as opposed to previous intermittent problems - BT having been messing, lightning etc) you need to test two different routers at the test socket. Please remember what I said about powering down. DLM may already have put your Target SNRM up. Periodically keep checking your phone for crackling or other intermittent noises.
nilsatis
Grafter

Now that you have mentioned it, my wife - who uses the phone way more than me has told me that she has noticed some noise on the line recently. Could this be significant?
I should be able to get another router tomorrow so I'll set it up and report back.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If there's noise on the line then this will almost certainly cause problems with your broadband.
You should report this to your telephone line providor (do not mention broadband, just report the noise on the voice service).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
nilsatis
Grafter

OK, thanks. I'll report that tomorrow too - busy day  Grin