Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moderators Elections - Voting thread [SPLIT FROM POLL RESULTS]

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Moderators Elections - Voting thread [SPLIT FROM POLL RESULTS]

Sounds like 'in at the deep end' stuff. Still it's the best way to learn.
Edited to concede defeat Lips_are_sealed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
mal0z
Grafter

Thanks James
so let's hope PN and the moderators can agree between themselves - so that no future elections aret started until a PN newsletter date has been agreed  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

There seems to be a presumption here that the system isn't going to change, and I am particularly disappointed that it is being expressed by some of the people who are expressing it.
I find myself agreeing with a lot of what Spider has said. Right now I'm going to highlight some of those points -
Quote from: Spider
As you haven't offered me the option I require to cast my vote I will bellyache as much as I wish thank you very much whether or not I like the results :P.

And if one thinks that more than 2 candidates are worthy, one is never going to "like" the results.
Quote from: Spider
..............................................(1) I have not voted, as per the present rules & regs. Voting is not compulsory and abstention is not an option.....................................................(3) The right time for debate is when people are willing to debate the subject. However that debate should be separate from the election although their is no reason that it can't run at the same time...........................................

Here, here, & I've been especially disappointed by the lack of constructive comment on the suggestions that have been made.
Quote from: jelv
.........................................................................................
I was also concerned that having had a vigorous debate about how the forums are moderated that demonstrated a very considerable support for a significant change, the election was started anyway.
It appears now that this election may have the highest turnout ever - if so the discussions have been a good thing.

John are you now saying you are happy with the status quo?
@Emma
I'm glad I'm not the only one that makes such observations.
And one thing that is really irritating - this continued comparison to General/Council elections.
We are NOT choosing individuals to represent our views or decide on what we will pay for what services. They are (hopefully) going to ensure that the Forums are run in accordance with the Forum Rules.
Isolated comments about the way you decide to vote or abstain in a General/Council election should be made in ChitChat. A direct comment about why you vote or abstain here is valid.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm far from happy with the status quo!
What has been suggested and apparently has a significant degree of support is that their should be two levels of moderators: a top level who carry out all the tasks and responsibilities including wielding the big stick on the (hopefully) rare occasions it is needed, overseeing appointments/elections to the moderating team, maintaining/revising the rules etc.and a larger team of ordinary moderators to keep on top of the routine tasks and help other users. So as this election is going ahead, I see this election as being for the top level team and sincerely hope that immediately after the conclusion moves are started to move forward to expanding the team.
Over recent months I've noticed and increasing tendency for posts to appear in the incorrect forum. Knowing how short staffed the moderator team has been I've not reported all the instances, but having given the newly appointed team time to settle in I will be using the Report to moderators button far more frequently and I'd urge everyone else to do the same (it makes the forums far more useful as a resource if everything is in the correct forum). I hope that the moderators deal with all these in a timely manner - lack of time to do it will not be an acceptable excuse.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I would support that - although I read most posts I use View Unread Posts so may not pick up that it is in the wrong place.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Thanks Jim - it hasn't escaped my notice that (particularly during the day) you have been the one who has dealt with most of the issues I've reported recently - your attention is much appreciated.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That's because I'm old and retired and the weather has been lousy  Grin
Strat
Community Veteran

I have used the comparison with political elections simply to make the point that both those and the Moderator elections follow a set procedure which is expected to be followed by those who wish to take part.
Neither are compulsory and people have chosen not to take part which is their right.
So apologies if I have upset anyone's sense of right and wrong but each to their own opinion and this is mine.
Edit:..and for what it's worth I strongly believe that change is due................not necessarily overdue though Wink
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Strat
I have used the comparison with political elections simply to make the point that both those and the Moderator elections follow a set procedure ............................

Errrrr, I think we'd noticed that  Shocked
Quote from: Oldjim
That's because I'm old and retired and the weather has been lousy  Grin

That's as maybe Jim, but your efforts are still appreciated, especially as you've had to deal with a number of reports from me  Smiley and I agree about the weather, I really should put some warmer clothes on and get on with a few things Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I did (put on warmer clothes that is) - it was quite nice working in the garden this afternoon even though the pond was still frozen
Strat
Community Veteran

Quote from: Anotherone
Quote from: Strat
I have used the comparison with political elections simply to make the point that both those and the Moderator elections follow a set procedure ............................

Errrrr, I think we'd noticed that  Shocked

I'm so glad the point wasn't completely lost Wink Smiley
Very well quoted out of context BTW...worthy of Fleet Street Wink Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

BTW guys - there is no way on this earth that I will be awake at 8.37 on a Sunday morning, so contacting the successful people may be slightly delayed - until about the time I can drag myself out of my nice warm pit Tongue
B.
mal0z
Grafter

That's not good enough  Wink Wink - can't you have the computer by your warm pit, and have it wake you ?.  Grin Grin Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

going back to the last vote, which mod has the radio controlled clock?
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Quote from: Barry
BTW guys - there is no way on this earth that I will be awake at 8.37 on a Sunday morning, so contacting the successful people may be slightly delayed - until about the time I can drag myself out of my nice warm pit Tongue
B.

But we'll all be getting up early.  Don't let us down Barry Wink Wink  Do you want someone to call you?