cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/wireless router can it be used as wireless router only?

Pictureman1
Grafter

Modem/wireless router can it be used as wireless router only?

Hi
With the imminent implementation of 21CN in this area I have decided to try to get the best out of my B/B connection which is quite poor locally, have just received a new wireless modem/router from PN in order to site it next to the main BT socket.
Question can I now use my old modem/router as a wireless router only ? if so any helpful info gratefully received.
Current set up ext'n BT socket feeds w'less modem/router which feeds 2 desktops on ethernet and  laptop via wireless, first thought was to use a USB wireless unit on main computer to access the new router and remove the old router then realised I would no longer  have network access from the second desktop.
So if I now remove the BT feed from the old router will it act as a simple wireless router or am I giving myself problems by trying to do this?
Many thanks
Alf
10 REPLIES 10
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Modem/wireless router can it be used as wireless router only?

Umm... It depends on what router model / version you have. For most cases though they won't work as a wireless router only.
Please tell us what your old one is and we'll see for sure what you can do with it.
That's RPM to you!!
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the comment, the old one is a Linksys WAG354G current Firmware V 1.01.54
Alf
ian007jen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi
Yes this will work, If you are using a plusnet supplied thomson (ip address 192.168.1.254).
1 Change the Linksys ip to 192.168.1.253.
2 Turn off DHCP (on Linksys)
3 Connect by ethernet cable (any network port on linksys to any port on thomson)
4 Change wireless channels on both so that they do not ovelap.
5 Set Wireless SSID's to different names.
6 Done Smiley
Ian
itsme
Grafter

@ian007jen Have you tried your suggested settings?
ian007jen
Rising Star

No on these exact models,
But on other Netgear, linksys 2wire and zyxel routers.
I have not failed yet.
Ian
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi Ian
Thank you for that, having read your post I realise I have not made clear my basic problem, this is that I am unable to get a network cable between the location of the main BT plate and the location of the networked computers, what I would like to do is pass the modem output wirelessly from the Thompson modem to the Linksys modem (now acting as a router) and hence into the network.
My understanding from your suggestion is that it will require a permanant network cable between the two units.
Am I trying to achieve the impossible?
Alf
ian007jen
Rising Star

Hi
You could try home plugs like these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=co...
They use mains wiring instead of an ethernet cable.
Never tried linking over wireless, I want things to work with no dropouts.
Ian
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi Ian
Thanks for that, sorry not replied sooner been out of the loop for a couple of days.
That's another way round the problem, will investigate further, guess I will need three as there are two desktops in the system, but thats no problem.
Alf
Bullet
Grafter

The answer to this problem really depends on how much time and money you want to put into resolving it!
I use two netgear routers to provide a wireless bridged network, (DGN2000 and DG834 v3).
Enabling the bridge when I want an internet connection for my Humax HD recorder to use iplayer to the TV via an ethernet cable (I did not want an ethernet cable from the TV in the living room).
DG834s can be had for about £5 on ebay, go for the ex sky branded ones and flash the netgear f/w back in.
But like I say this all takes time and research, it would be much easier to buy a couple of powerline adapters and then just use your existing redundant router as a network switch for your PCs, job done.
Pictureman1
Grafter

Hi All
Just to say a big thanks for the suggestions, got side tracked over the last few days so have not been able to get things started (still with the old system) but hopefully will now get some time to proceed.
Will consider the topic closed and re open it if I hit any problems
Thanks once again
Alf