cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/router

plantsman
Grafter

Modem/router

Newbie on dsl - can you please advise me - I've always been in the habit of switching of at the supply socket when using my computer for the last time at night.  Is there any reason why the modem/router (BT Voyager 210) should be left on. ie. is there likely to be a deterioration effect by switching of and on again each day.
6 REPLIES 6
artificer
Grafter

Re: Modem/router

i don't know anything about the bt210, but i leave my netgear dg834g adsl router on all the time.  it's been running for three years with only occasional shutdown, either as a result of power cuts, or for reboot.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

My preference would be to leave the router on 24x7 except if I was to be away for several days. That minimises the risk of a bad sync dragging your IP Profile down, and it taking 3-5 days at a higher sync speed to get it up again.
David
pcoventry
Grafter

Hi plantsman, welcome aboard  Smiley
To be honest a nightly turn off should not cause any detrimental effect to your ADSL service. It's the constant disconnections that cause the exchange to suspect a fault and slam the speed down. However if you can leaving the router on is the best option. They manage the connection independently and are designed to be on all the time.
At the end of the day it's personal choice.
plantsman
Grafter

Thank you for your replies to my query gentlemen. I will be leaving my router switched on.  Smiley
MickKi
Grafter

Those of us on a good connection can switch it off overnight and switch it back on in the morning, only to resync with the BT exchange on a high speed as usual.
On the other hand some of us on a less than good connection, which tends to fluctuate depending on the weather and what have you, tend to hold on to a good sync speed when we get it by leaving the modem/router on all the time thereafter.
Very much a personal preference matter as Pete says.  You could well have a less that perfect connection and not be particularly bothered about squeezing the highest possible download speed out of it.  Smiley
samuria
Grafter

The only problem with leaving it on is if it drops the line and then reconnects at say 1 meg and you dont notice it will drop your profile right down. If you do leave it on 24/7 then check the connection speed on the router daily if you can. The other downside with leaving it on is you wont connect at a higher speed if condition change