Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/router recommendation sought

CraigBruce
Dabbler

Modem/router recommendation sought

Hi,
  I'm looking for a recommendation to replace an ageing/malfunctioning Netgear DG834N. Currently on Plusnet ADLS2+ but FTTC by Mar 31st unless the date slips again, so compatability options there would be nice.
The quirk is my setup which is as follows (I'm in the process of returning a shiny new Netgear N600 which couldnt deliver the required functionality):
  o Static IP range provided by Plusnet
  o 4 static IPs used including the one for the modem. Don't need router-based firewall protection but the option would be nice on a per IP basis
  o Static IP hardware typically cabled rather than wireless
  o 1 of the static IPs is assigned to a wireless router which NATs private IPs used by various kit including Slingbox, Wi-Fi PVR, Xbox etc
  o Some of the NAT'd kit I access remotely, such as Slinbox and port forwarding from static/[public IP on wireless router handles that
  Plusnet----> Modem/Router (Static IP1) ----> PC/server (Static IP2)
                                                                        ----> PC/server (Static IP3)
                                                                        ----> Wireless router (Static IP4) ----> 192.168.0.x range
                                                                                                                                  ----> Slingbox etc.
  Ideally modem/router would be combined to save on a power socket, but could have 2 devices. The problem I had with the N600 is that when I switched NAT off and assigned the same static IP  address to WAN and LAN sides of the device and then connected to Plusnet, the N600 decided to be smart and protect me from an ISP related IP clash, resetting the LAN IP to 192.168.1.1. As I'd switched off most of the functions on the N600 (Wifi, NAT, DHCP, Firewall) it wasn't doing much anyway..
Thanks in advance,
Craig
1 REPLY 1
Laser
Grafter

Re: Modem/router recommendation sought

I've not been too pleased with the Netgear stuff I've owned. It always sort of works but also sort of crashes and doesn't quite do what you expect. And it gets hot!
I have also used Belkin, which would be ok for basic home use but was rather buggy; Zoom, which didn't work very well, but seemed very configurable if only I could understand how you were supposed to do it; and Thomson which seems to be quite reliable, but minimal configurability.
More recently I purchased a TP-Link 8840T for use as a cheap modem and have been very pleased with it for the £15 that it cost. It has a number of options for VLAN and static routes but I couldn't say whether it would do what you want. I also have an Asus RT-N56U wireless router (no modem) which has more options than you can shake a stick at. Again, couldn't say if it would do what you want, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.