cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/router password removed

lemming
Grafter

Modem/router password removed

I transferred to PN ten days ago, bringing my own modem with me, a Thomson Speedtouch ST585v6, configured as usual with a strong password for sole user, Administrator.  A few days ago I noticed that I was no longer being asked for the password when logging on to it via Firefox.  Firefox has no stored passwords.  Telnet access to the modem also now allows a login as Administrator with a null password.  I hadn't requested or enabled  PN Automatic Router Setup via TR69, and I'd set the new login details by hand.  Nevertheless the coincidence in time leads me to the obvious suspicion that some remote configuration has been done somewhere as part of the transfer process.
The box has never allowed Administrator access to the full CLI command set and I appear not to be able to do  a password reset myself.  I can obviously do a reset to factory configuration, but I'm reluctant to do that as I don't know what firmware version it will revert to.  Any other suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Modem/router password removed

We can't access routers that aren't supplied by us through TR-069 so we haven't changed anything from our end.
I'm sure others will give advice shortly.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

who supplied the original router or did you buy it and if so was it on ebay
lemming
Grafter

Matthew, thanks, that's reassuring.  I had been wondering about the exchange end too.
Jim, I got it from  a local freecycler in 2008; one of three he was disposing of.  It's been performing very stably since then.
I have actually now found a password change page which I'd forgotten about, and had some partial success, in that a new passsword is now needed for telnet access, and possibly for some, but far from all,  functions accessed via the browser pages. I'll carry on investigating.  All a bit mysterious, and I'm keeping an open mind.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The default Administrator password in that model might well be empty (no password). If the router has been reset (or chosen to do it itself) that could be the reason for an empty password being set.
David