cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem on top of Router?

Strike
Dabbler

Modem on top of Router?

Is it safe to put fibre modem hardware on top of Plusnet router?   It get really hot though when it on top of each other. I have Gigabit switch (6 ports) that I need to connect as well.
I do not have enough space, I am looking shelf unit for router, modem and switch..  I have no luck finding it.. any suggestion?
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Modem on top of Router?

What's hot the router or the modem?
I have my modem bolted to the side of my desk, and my router beside it. The switch lives under the desk, might get around to mounting it one of these days.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'd always advise leaving as much space as possible between devices like that to allow for effective cooling. However you'd probably have a lot of "fun" trying to balance anything on top of the TG582n as has a fairly rounded profile.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
picbits
Rising Star

Cut some stiff cardboard tube into 1-1.5 inch high rings and use them to space the router / modem out. At a push you could use plastic fizzy drink bottletops etc to create a nice gap.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Good idea Smiley
I used some rubber door stops that I had spare to provide airspace under my modem/router.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Estragon
Rising Star

The fibre modem is desiged for wall-mounting if desired.  That is in fact the recommended position.  Just a couple of screws, or even picture hooks.
Or similarly, on the side of a desk like Hairy Biker.
Strike
Dabbler

rubber door stops and picture hooks is a good idea!