Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem losing connection on pinging!

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Modem losing connection on pinging!

Hi
I am trying to locate all the broken images - boxshots - on my new computer software site - http://computer-software4u.co.uk.  I downloaded all the boxshot urls from my database - over 30,000 - created 14 text files with around 1,500 - 2,000 urls in each.  Then I used a program called Link Sleuth to ping the urls to locate the broken ones.  Works perfectly but I keep loosing connection at the same time each time.  I can check around 2500 urls - within a few mins - but over that and I lose connection.  I have to reset my modem then to get back online.  It seems to me that there must be some sort of limit within my broadband connection.  Possibly I am trying to do something that makes my activity appear 'dodgy'.  
I notice I can check a file with around 2000 urls in it and not get a problem but if I attempt to run another check on another file within a certain time frame - 5 to 10 mins I lose connection again.  Anyone know exactly what this time limit is as I need to check on my screenshots as well?  Bit of a pain to lose connection especially when my site is on my home server!
This losing connection could be caused by the site I am pinging I suppose?
Regards
Bluesplayer
6 REPLIES 6
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Modem losing connection on pinging!

It could be your router, and its implementation of NAT.
IIRC, each "ping" is going to use a different port number at your end; this requires your router to remember the port as part of its NAT translation. Is it really a ping? More likely to be an HTTP GET request to verify that teh file at the remote URL can actually be returned.
So it could just be that the router runs out of resources to remember all your NAT sessions in such a short period of time.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You can ping an ip address (or site); you can't ping a URL.
Since you created your site, how can your links be broken?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Bluesplayer
Grafter

It could be your router, and its implementation of NAT.
IIRC, each "ping" is going to use a different port number at your end; this requires your router to remember the port as part of its NAT translation. Is it really a ping? More likely to be an HTTP GET request to verify that teh file at the remote URL can actually be returned.
So it could just be that the router runs out of resources to remember all your NAT sessions in such a short period of time.

Must be as you mentioned about - HTTP GET request.  The router must be recovering after a period of time by the looks of it.  About 10 minutes or so I think.
Since you created your site, how can your links be broken?

The site is being populated with urls and images from a downloaded database csv file.  I have no control over the contents of the csv file so I am attempting to remove all the problems it has - missing images - odd characters etc.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You only have 14 files.
Wait 15 minutes in between each one.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Do you have the PC configured to use your routers DNS or is it pointed directly at the PN ones? If using the router DNS it may be worth trying swapping.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Am ok with this now.  I just fire up a new file every so often - after 15 mins has passed at least.  Once all the 14 boxshot files are checked I will work through another 14 screen shot files which won't take that long.
Reason behind the above is that I can locate the faulty images and replace the faulty database url with an image url that works.  It will help keep the site error free and also visually more appealing as Explorer shows an empty space with a red x in it wherever a broken boxshot image resides - which looks distinctly naff!
Thanks for the help.
dick:quote