cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem and Router Setup

rs6mra1

Modem and Router Setup

Hi All,
I currently have the above mentioned hardware that I would like to set up an use instead of the Technicolour modem router supplied by Plusnet.
Does anyone have such a set up or can anyone advice me on how to go about doing this.
My setup is currently the Technicolor TGN582n (wireless disabled) and the Netgear router and this works well. I do however want to do away with the TGN582n and use the Dlink (DSL-320B MODEM) (not supplied by Plusnet) with the Netgear router (WNDR3700). The reason being i am not gaining from the router what i ought to on a gigabit network. My switches(x2) are connected to the Netgear as it has gigabit ports and the TGN doesn't.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
adie:orange all caps title removed as per link:rules]
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: MODEM & ROUTER SET UP

You ought to be able to use the 320b in 'bridge' mode as just a modem. Then setup the wndr for pppoe with your plusnet username/password and connect its wan port to the 320.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rs6mra1

Re: Modem and Router Setup

Thanks for your reply. I shall give this a go as i cannot recall the steps i took last time in trying to set it  up.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've not set one up myself but I believe you need the 320b Bridge mode  connection type set to Bridged IP VC-Mux. VPI 0 , VCI 38 if it needs it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rs6mra1

I am now changing the settings but i am unsure as to whether i need to enable DHCP server setting on the router and disable this on the modem.
The other problem i am now having with the pesky modem is that now i have changed to 'bridge' mode on the modem & rebooted, I cannot enter the settings!!!
its all now coming back to me and i seem to recall Plusnet advicing that I could not have it bridge mode.
Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

need to enable DHCP server setting on the router and disable this on the modem.
Yes, you need to enable it on the router. I would expect it to be automatically disabled on the 320 when in bridge mode.
now i have changed to 'bridge' mode on the modem & rebooted, I cannot enter the settings!
That's to be expected I'm afraid, but in effect there are no settings to change, it's now just a modem.
i seem to recall Plusnet advicing that I could not have it bridge mode
Not on its own you can't, but with a router connected to it you can.