Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Router

OshB5
Grafter

Modem Router

Hi All
No i have my line sorted out My speedtouch seems to be starting to die, That how it goes i suppose. LOL
Anyway i have asked our ISP if they can help seeing as i have been with F( for 12+ years and never had anything from them. I will have to wait and see on that front mean while these are the three modem/routers that people seem to be saying are the best for long lines and so on
They are
Netgear DG834GT Super-G Wireless Modem Router 802.11g
BT Business Hub 2700 HGV

SpeedTouch 585v6 54Mbps Wireless modem Router
Has anyone any thought about these 3 or any others that will do a good job. My line length is 4.2 via road and a attn of 52 a snr down of between 5-7 and a sync speed of between 4200 t0 5200 depending on the time of day the modem resets lol
Many thanks Andy
P.S. With the SNR could anyone please explain is lower better or not in the case of the snr? Only i have seen times when it has gone down as low as 4 even 3.5 on one occasion in the router stats and i am not sure?Huh
4 REPLIES 4
HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: Modem Router

Hi , as it happens i have all 3 of the routers you are asking about.  If you have a low snr , i'd not go for the 2700hgv mine seemed to drop connection at less than 6db.  The thompson is pretty good, but the netgear is the one i'd go for as it's good at holding sync at low snr's and you can tweak your target snr via telnet to get the very best speed out of your line.
Have a look here for snr explanation mate
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Your line appears to be very much like mine Andy. A 2700 synced around the middle of the day will achieve about 5200, but it won't hold for more than a couple of days before settling around 4600 - 4800. Even then it will drop occasionally.
The 585v6 will initially sync at around 4800, and stays connected for weeks. As the thresholds for 4000 and 4500 profile are 4544 and 5120, there seems little point in struggling to 5200 if it won't stay there.
Other considerations may be that the 585v6 is fully compatible with RouterStats, whereas the 2700, up to v5, will only work with RouterStats Lite. I can't get a 2700v6 to work with either version of RouterStats.
Also the 585v6 has UPnP, whereas the 2700 has very comprehensive stats, and a more configurable, and allegedly bombproof, firewall.
Overall, then, I tend to use the 585 normally, and the 2700 if troubleshooting.
No experience of the Netgear, but as long as I've got a reliable 6dB target margin, I can't see any point in trying to tweak it.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
OshB5
Grafter

Thanks for the reply \my SN margin Down fluctuates between n 4 and 7 i even had a 3.5 a day or soo ago. I also get resyncs and modem resets hence then why te speed changes  i get around 4 resets and a a lot more resyncs in a day?
Andy
jim:quote
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: OshB5
P.S. With the SNR could anyone please explain is lower better or not in the case of the snr? Only i have seen times when it has gone down as low as 4 even 3.5 on one occasion in the router stats and i am not sure?Huh

It's the Target SNR Margin which is the important figure - the one you'll see immediately after a re-sync. 6dB is the ADSL default, but if a line is long/noisy, the exchange equipment will change it to 9, 12, or 15. Assuming yours is 6dB - if there's less noise on the line than when the router last re-synced, you'll see 7, maybe 8dB SNR. In the middle of the night it might drop to 3dB or less, and this is where some routers are better than others in holding sync.
You appear to be assuming that it's your router causing your problems, and there's certainly no harm in having a spare anyway - 585s and 2700s are readily available cheaply on eBay - but I'd be inclined to consider other possibilities too, especially as your OP indicated that your line has recently been 'sorted'.
There are better qualified folk on the forum to take it from here, and hopefully one will be along soon - meanwhile I hope my observations about the routers have been of some use.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)