cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile vs Home broadband?

Devonian
Grafter

Mobile vs Home broadband?

I work away a lot, and I need my laptop for my job.
I quite often use my iPhone 5 as a hotspot.
I have been wondering, will there still be a place for traditional broadband through the phone line for much longer?
My mobile is with three, and where the broadband is slower when I use it through the iPhone compared to my home broadband, its not that much slower.
My mobile also works out half the price.
I pay £15 for unlimited data with no FUP, 300 minutes of calls to landline and mobile, and 3000 texts.
I pay PlusNet around £30 per month for line rental, calls and broadband.
I don't know if I could connect the xbox to the iphone, or the smart tv, and I don't know how it would handle 2 3 4 or more laptops at once... but as technology improves, and 4g is on its way, surely the regular isp's must be worried?
iPhone:

PlusNet:
9 REPLIES 9
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Mobile vs Home broadband?

I've been wondering the same sort of thing recently. With all the problems there seems to be with poor speeds because of line length etc or poor quality lines it occurred to me there may be a better way and whilst wireless isn't as fast I can see the day when perhaps the use of more satellite dishes or similar become the norm.
itsme
Grafter

2G inside the house 3G in the garden so I will not be switching to mobile  Cheesy I'm only 1 mile from the mast and even O2 state that I will not get 3G inside the house.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I'll stay with PN until I get speeds like this on mobile!
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Depending where you live colours your view tho' doesn't it. I struggle to get 5Mb so if I could get 10Mb via some other means that would be a 100% increase for me.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Interesting, but I wonder what the service (regarding contention) would be like if 20% of ADSL customers opted for mobile internet - some areas already suffer overloading with telephone calls. Roll_eyes
Regarding satellite, without an (expensive?) uplink some other method of getting a back channel is needed - probably have plenty of download speed, but not able to request the data due to contention Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: tijara33
I'll stay with PN until I get speeds like this on mobile!

A 4G mobile already gives 40down 13up Wink
apjashley1
Grafter

My 4G iPad gets close to that
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: PeeGee

Regarding satellite, without an (expensive?) uplink some other method of getting a back channel is needed - probably have plenty of download speed, but not able to request the data due to contention Shocked

Satellite b/band has come a long way since the early days when it was one way and required  a landline/mobile for upload.
Its two way now, the price of the kit and data has come down download/upload speeds have. increased etc etc.
Its still not really a viable option for most compared to 'terrestrial' broadband though, due to the data limits and pricing, aggressive AUP/FUPs and throttling  and poor  latency.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

A 4G mobile already gives 40down 13up Wink

Not in rural Dorset it doesn't!! Undecided