cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mitch / Techguy

James
Grafter

Mitch / Techguy

Here's an attachment showing the current line conditions for your (surprisingly) line.
It shows your attenuation (loop loss), noise margin, synchronisation, MSR & FTR.
The noise margin being at 8, does not suggest to me that you have a target noise margin set to 9, unless you're still playing around with the DMT Tool.
The errored seconds on the upstream side of things could be a concern and I'd be interested to see if it continued to happen if DMT were turned off, along with what your noise margin is being calculated at.
27 REPLIES 27
techguy
Grafter

Re: Mitch / Techguy

Right
When I get home tonight should I  put the router back to multi-mode (auto) or ADSL?
I'll also plug the filter directly into my line socket (and put the ethernet through the surge instead)
I'm assuming DLM refers to Dynamic Line Management?
How long should everything be left to give a fair indication of what is going on?

I'll stick up a screengrab of my router stats too.

James
Grafter

Thanks.
Yep, when you get home, just use the standard default settings for your router.  Also, if you could plug directly into the test socket (if you have one) I'd be very grateful.
Can you completely eliminate the surge projector too?  There's no rain (therefore storms) forecast for your area in the next couple of days so it shouldn't be a concern and if anything did happen to your router, I promise I'll pay for a new one Smiley
DLM does stand for Dynamic Line Management.
Leave it overnight and into tomorrow so I can do more checks tomorrow morning.  Your rotuer stats should look identical to the results that I get as (I believe) it's all reported directly from the DSLAM.
techguy
Grafter

Will do
Thanks
I apologise if I came across a little agressive, I'm not, just keen to get everything humming along before I start one helluva year next year (in addition to Cisco I have just had my request to undergo the A+ hardware certification training approved  :))
techguy
Grafter

Right
Reconfigured my wiring as suggested but have put the surge in between the router and the PC
Socket > filter (no phone attached) > Router > Cat5e to input on surge > Cat5e from output to LAN port on PC motherboard (sorry James but It'd be just my luck for something to happen on the line and for it to take out my motherboard so not taking that chance but there is nothing now between the ADSL WAN port on the router and the phone socket which is an extension type one rather than an NTE, BT guy waved this through when he installed the second line)
Anyway I noticed a couple of items of interest:
I just unplugged the filter from the surge and then plugged it into the socket and then sorted out the ethernet cables, when I booted the PC and entered the router's panel noise margin had dropped to 3.9 dB
I ran a speed test and was getting 700 Kbps

I rebooted the router as I thought the margin was an incorrect reading and sure enough it rose to 7 dB again
the attached doc shows the noise margin before and after switching back to multimode.
I ran another test when the connection had re-estanlished after switching to multimode and speed was reported at 1174 (does DMT have that much overhead?)
I re-ran the test
Just checked my stats again and downstream has dropped to 1632 Kbps and margin is 6.6
Anyway, I'm at work again tomorrow and off to see the Bond film tomorrow evening with not one but two nice looking ladies  Grin
I have taken the liberty of enabling renote management on the router and have PMed you with the details so please feel free to log in and have a look at the panel to get an idea of what's going on if it helps (there's no data protection issue as my PC wont be on)
I would like to try and get this stable and at a good speed if I can.
Thanks for your help again.
All the best
Mitch
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There is no point whatsoever in running speed test immediately after making changes - it tells us absolutely nothing!
Because of the BT set IP Profile it takes up to three of four days for changes to be reflected in speed tests.
3.9dB margin could be absolutely brilliant if it was syncing at 8mbps. It could sync a bit lower and the noise margin would go up to a reasonable level and you'd have much better speeds.
What you need to post is the noise margin and the sync speed. You are looking for same noise margin and higher sync speed, same sync speed and higher noise margin or preferably higher noise margin and sync speed. Achieve one of those and in a few days time you should start to see higher IP Profile and better speed test results.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
techguy
Grafter

Hi
Please see the attached document.
I was just posted what I observed and to confirm I had done what had been advised so that further details can be drawn off the DSLAM.

The rest is down to a combination of my router firmware, BT's hardware and the kit and folks at PN.
Looks like the BT speedtester is borked again but its still showing my connection as 1250 Kbps
Current router info
DownStream Connection Speed  1632 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps
noise margin is around 8.2 dB at present.
When I ran the BT test it prompted me to run a host test, I've previously tried one of these by reconfiging the router with the signon details and got nowhere.

James
Grafter

In Mitch's case there's no harm in running speedtests after making changes as I'm not expecting a change in IP Profile.
Mitch - I'm fairly sure that DMT hasn't been doing you any favours as it's not really making any difference to sync speed, nor is it helping your throughput.  I'd keep things as they are for a couple of days and see how things behave.
BTW - I couldn't get through to your router web-console.
I hope you enjoyed the Bond film more than I did.  I was rather dissapointed Sad  Although I had excellent company Cheesy
techguy
Grafter

Hi James
I'll do a little twekaing when I get in.
Think I need to allow RLOGIN on the routers firewall and take down the PN BB firewall?
I'm told its action all the way but yes the company will make up for it.
I shall post back when I've made the tweaks.
I don't suppose there's any mileage in getting the socket or wiring from the hole in the wall on the side of the house to the socket replaced is there?
James
Grafter

No idea Cheesy
If you have the PN firewall set above low, it may well not work.
techguy
Grafter

PN firewall set to low.
Think its the RLOGIN entry I need to add but I think I need to resign myself to the fact I live in a broadband blackspot (was only able to get BB about 4 years after the exchange was enabled when they brought out extended reach)
You'd have thought something better might have come along by now wouldn't you?
James
Grafter

There's always beer Cheesy
You could try turning the firewall off (I'd assume your router has a built on one anyway).  I'll email you my IP Address in case you need to manually add that.
techguy
Grafter

Not having a good day with technology today.
Stuff collapsing left right, and centre at work.
Roll on 5.30!
Thanks, I'll add RLOGIN and restrict it to your IP but cant do this until I get home now.
As regards beer, I could drink a half yard at the min!
artificer
Grafter

ah, but can you handle the glass it comes in?
techguy
Grafter

Right I've done a few tweaks and you should be able to get in now.
I don't want to leave it in this config for long but hope this helps