cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misleading "About your broadband speed" email / 5 GHz Wi-Fi performance

anthonypaynter
Dabbler

Misleading "About your broadband speed" email / 5 GHz Wi-Fi performance

I've been on Unlimited Fibre with Plusnet for 14 days, and I've had speeds of up to, and occasionally over 55Mbps, which was the estimated speed when I signed up. This morning, I got an email which said:
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 11Mbps
Current line speed: 72Mbps

When I log on to the Member Centre, it says:
Estimated line speed: 55Mb (Download speed could vary......) - Checked on 2013-06-28 12:22:25
Current line speed: 72 Mb

Is this just a fault with the automated email, or is there a more serious problem?
13 REPLIES 13
Jonny5

Re: Confusing email from Plusnet - "About your broadband speed"

I think there is a system problem.
I had a similar email a few days ago saying I had an estimated download speed of 8mb but was getting 78mb!
Non of those figures are correct as I was estimated to get 53mb and get 65. (Although the control panel shows my sync speed as 78mb)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I fairly sure that the problem is that the estimated speed is incorrectly quoted as being for ADSL rather than Fibre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

In its wisdom the email provides the estimated speed for ADSL rather than FTTC, which the Member Centre reports. I believe fixing this is on the "to do" list, but it's nothing to worry about, it won't affect your service.
David
anthonypaynter
Dabbler

Thanks - that's good news. Slightly concerning for the customer though!
Changing the subject slightly...
A couple of speed tests during my first week with Plusnet (with a laptop connected directly to the router) gave me a reading of 66 Mbps down and 22 Mbps up. Is it possible to connect at a higher speed than the estimate then?
My PCs/devices are normally connected via Wi-Fi or Powerline (200), so I usually see speed test results around 39 down and 14 up. Is that normal?
I've bought a new router (TP-Link WDR-3600) but it hasn't improved speed significantly. It would be difficult to connect my three PCs via Cat-6, so is there any other way to improve my speeds?
James
Grafter

Yep - The estimate is what it says on the tin.
It's a rough guide we get from Openreach as to what the speeds are going to be like.
Some are more accurate than others!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

My PCs/devices are normally connected via Wi-Fi or Powerline (200), so I usually see speed test results around 39 down and 14 up. Is that normal?
Fairly typical I'm afraid. As regards Wifi the main reasons for slow thoughput are adjacent networks and distance/objects(walls) in the way from the router. You might try changing channels to avoid other nearby routers on similar channels. Have a look around using something like http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ . Don't forget that only channels 1,6 & 11 are the only really non overlapping channels.
Since your wdr3600 is dual band you should get better performance if you have a 5Ghz adaptor.
As regards Homeplugs, as you can see from here http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31624-homeplug-av-500-adapter-roundup?start=2 , 40Mb is not bad for a Powerline 200 adaptor.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anthonypaynter
Dabbler

It might be worth upgrading to Powerline 500 (but not Netgear) at some point then?
Or perhaps I'll bite the bullet, buy a big drill bit, and get some (suitably weatherproof) Cat-6 running around the outside of the house...  Undecided
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Might be worth trying a 5ghz adapter ( assuming none of your PC's support it already ) as long as the distance from PC to router isn't too far. I've no direct experience myself so it's difficult to say what improvement may be possible. Have a look at the pros & cons here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Features/Article.asp?TextID=1757
Adapter here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=13590&utm_source=BBB&utm_medium=Relate...

anthonypaynter
Dabbler

I've had trouble getting a 5 GHz signal from the router on my phone (Galaxy S II) and tablet (Nexus 7 2012). If I'm in the same room it'll connect, but even through one wall (or ceiling), I'm lucky to get a single bar and often can't even see the 5 GHz SSID. Bit disappointing really, as one of the reasons I bought the new router was to benefit from improved Wi-Fi.
mikehiow
Grafter

I get around 70mbps real world throughput on a TP-link 500 powerline adapter.
I got around 38mbps on the Devolo 200s I had before, so I guess you can assume you'll see similar results with 500 adapters.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

If I'm in the same room it'll connect, but even through one wall
Oh!, I didn't realise that the 5ghz band was THAT limited in range. I'd definitely have a play with inssider and see if you can gain any improvement on the conventional 2.4ghz be changing channels. Failing that it looks like either 500m Powerlines or some external cat6 as you say.

dynoman
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
If I'm in the same room it'll connect, but even through one wall
Oh!, I didn't realise that the 5ghz band was THAT limited in range.

It's not that bad for me i can receive a 5ghz signal all over my house (average 4 bed size), all be it only 2 bars in the rooms furthest away but adequate all the same. That's using a 5ghz usb adaptor on my laptop and desk top and also with my Nokia lumia. Strange, maybe i'm just lucky  Undecided  maybe worth going into the router settings (wireless advanced pages 2.4 & 5.0 ghz) and checking the Transmit power is set to 'high'. or maybe worth trying a different channel. not sure what else to suggest other than that.
anthonypaynter
Dabbler

I've tried a few other channels (plenty to choose from on 5 Ghz) and made sure it's trasmitting on "high", but there doesn't seem to be any difference.
I've actually just found out that the Nexus 7 only supports the 2.4 Ghz band... so that explains a lot! I just assumed that as a modern device it would support 5 Ghz, but at least now I know!
The Galaxy S2 (I9100) on the other hand does definitely support it, but unless I'm literally in the same room as the router (which is annoyingly right in the corner of my house), I get far worse performance than on 2.4.