cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum latency increased since 4am?

destin8
Dabbler

Minimum latency increased since 4am?

Our minimum latency seems to have jumped up a bit since 4am today... is there any reason for this, or will it drop back down by itself?
13 REPLIES 13
thesawdust
Grafter

Re: Minimum latency increased since 4am?

Has your connection dropped at all during the increase? It could possibly be the gateway you are connected to?  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Your connection doesn't appear to have dropped.
Has your latency returned to normal yet?
destin8
Dabbler

No, it's still a bit higher than it has been up to now. (My signature is linked to our "live" TBB graph.)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you drop your PPP session by logging into your router and hitting the 'Disconnect' button, followed by hitting the 'Connect' button - just want to see if this is being caused by anything our end.
destin8
Dabbler

I've just done as requested -- will see if it has any effect!
destin8
Dabbler

It seems to have increased again, but by a very small amount this time. Would powering down the router and/or modem be worth trying?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I'd guess you're on FTTC, in which case it looks like your modem has re-synced with interleaving applied either upstream or downstream (typically 7 or 8ms jump on either), the FTTC modems re-sync very quickly and it often does not show as a PPP drop.
If the cabinet DLM has decided to apply interleaving then you can't do a whole lot about it (other than wait and hope it reverses the action if error rates drop enough).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
thesawdust
Grafter

Chris stated his connection hadn't dropped, Some gateways can also give you a 7-8ms ping. I've noticed this on Fibre, I have to gateway hop to find a lower ping sometimes  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Chris stated that the PPP session had not dropped. If sync is lost and re-established quickly enough the PPP session will not drop. I've seen that happen many times on a 20CN ADSL 1 connection. Because FTTC is faster it is more likely it will happen on there.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
destin8
Dabbler

Yes, we are on FTTC -- I wish there were separate forums for ADSL and FTTC here, it would make things a little easier.
How do I find out which gateway I'm on and/or whether interleaving is on, is this something I can discover myself?
thesawdust
Grafter

http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Interleaving is something PlusNET can only inform you
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Profile: 37M-74M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 6M-12M Upstream, Interleaving Off
Do it looks as though Interleaving is just Low on the downstream at the moment, the line may have seen errors and applied Interleaving to ensure the connection remains stable.
Your latency shouldn't cause you any issues.
destin8
Dabbler

Thank you Chris and thesawdust! It's more curiosity than anything -- and storing a little knowledge for the future in case we do have issues. Thank you all for your time. Smiley