cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum guaranteed speed reported changed from 40Mbs at sign-up to now 25Mbs

mnccouk
Hooked

Minimum guaranteed speed reported changed from 40Mbs at sign-up to now 25Mbs

I'm a new customer of Plusnet, when I signed up to Plusnet the minimum guaranteed speed was 40Mbs. This was also reported in in my account under Broadband menu option and was one of the reasons I moved to Plusnet as the guaranteed minimum was higher then the service I was currently receiving. Today I noticed minimum guaranteed speed had  dropped to 25Mbs.

I've never been able to get north of 32Mbs, I have a SamKnows box which bounces between 30-32Mbs speed test averages for a day.

My question is, does this signify that there may be a hidden fault on my line? 

Plusnet must calculate a predicted minimum guaranteed speed and, suspect, do so conservatively. I'm thinking 40Mbs must be technically possible otherwise Plusnet would not have offered 40Mbs in the first instance.

Appreciate any thoughts or help.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Minimum guaranteed speed reported changed from 40Mbs at sign-up to now 25Mbs

@mnccouk   Welcome e the forum.

The MGS is derived from BT data. What is the estimate speed range for your line advised if you put your phone number in here. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mnccouk
Hooked

Re: Minimum guaranteed speed reported changed from 40Mbs at sign-up to now 25Mbs

@Baldrick1 Thanks for your response. 

I think these are the ranges but have included screen shot with all the details

VDSL - Range A  74.4 -> 55

VDSL - Range B 72.2 -> 49

Thanks

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@mnccouk 

It looks like you have a fault on your connection.

Report it on https://faults.plus.net

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mnccouk  If I were you I would ditch FTTC and sign up for a full Fibre FTTP service which the checker shows is available to you, not yet offered by Plusnet, it was supposed to be last year, now later this year so don't hold your breath. You can switch to BT or EE FTTP with no early termination charges if you arrange it through the Plusnet Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632. On FTTP you get the speed you sign up for all the time, never anything less.🤗

mnccouk
Hooked

Thanks for the help

ok, I've logged a report.

mnccouk
Hooked

@RealAleMadrid Yeah, it's literally only just gone live this week.I definitely keep this in mind and good to know can move to BT or EE without early termination charges.

I'll look into the products they offer.

Thanks!

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Thanks a lot for getting in touch @mnccouk and I'm extremely sorry to see that your line is performing really poorly at the moment, despite you being with us for such a short amount of time. My colleague has picked up the open fault that you raised, and has put through a DLM reset. 

At the minute, the line appears to be banded at 35Mbps for no obvious reason, we're hoping to have it unbanded within the next three working days. Let us know how you're getting on come Thursday, and we'll be happy to follow up. Smiley 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
mnccouk
Hooked

@adam945 thanks for the update and for keeping continuity between the recently opened support ticket and this topic thread.

I'll provide an an update towards the end of this week with the status.

Thanks for your help.
Matt.

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

No problem, the DLM reset should sort it Smiley 

Fee; free to reach out if you need anything else. 

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
mnccouk
Hooked

Just thought I'd give an update to this thread.

Plusnet have assisted by resetting the DLM, this did improve things as the connected sync speed  increased from 35Mb/s to just over 40/Mb/s.

This change in sync speed increased my Download speed from 30-32Mb/s to 36-38Mb/s

The support ticket was then considered resolved as it met expectations.

I queried the support ticket to get clarification on what the "Minimum Guaranteed Speed" is based on:-

1) The "Connection sync speed".

or

2)The "Download Speed"

This reopened the query and is still open at the moment.

Maybe the MGS is based around the sync speed but from the data that BT provide it feels the line should be capable of a fair but more.

mnccouk
Hooked

Update....

I thought Plusnet support was coming to a close as seemingly little more could be done. Line speed wasn't meeting minimum guaranteed  speed (The Guaranteed Speed at contract signup). I wanted one final confirmation that nothing else could be done from them, at which point I was going to consider alternative options.

The next day there seemed to be a renewed effort get the line speed fixed. Support email asking for speed tests, then a phone call from Plusnet later that day. We went through the normal checklist in attempt to figure out the issue but to no resolve. So, he arranged an engineer visit the next day to take a look.

Engineer came checked the line, no obvious faults were showing. He tested the speed and was receiving the same as what I'd reported. Next thing he was operating this huge 1980's looking phone plugged into the master socket asking his colleague for re profile. Within a about 5 mins speed had increased by about 6Mb/s, for the first time I was able to download over the minimum guaranteed speed. Download sync speed had increased to 44Mb/s and today it's gone slightly higher, just a tad under 48Mb/s.

Based on the speed I was getting when this issue started it works out to just over 50% faster with the effort that has gone into addressing this issue. So - Thanks to the Openreach engineer and Plusnet team for their support.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Cheers for the update!

I'm glad to see you've got a bit more speed now down to everybody's efforts. If you'd like to pass your thanks on to the engineer, I'd recommend filling out the form here > https://www.openreach.com/help-and-support/thank-an-engineer-form

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet