cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum Latency Decrease

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Minimum Latency Decrease

What happened here on the morning of the 12th November?  And my bb speed appears to have increased slightly.  Has the interleaving been reduced on my line?  If so, presumably this is down to slight improvement in line quality over the last month?

Not that I'm complaining mind.
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
5 REPLIES 5
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Minimum Latency Decrease

The DLM is being nice for a change!
Yes, your interleaving level (or one of the other related error correction functions) has been reduced, just keep ypur fingers crossed that it stays that way - not necessarily an indication of any improvement in line quality, more likely it's been seen to be stable for a long time so the DLM has made an appropriate adjustment.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I see similar things happen with the latency on my line and I never synced at anything other than 8128 with interleaving off (I'm close to my 20CN exchange).
What I believe is that sometimes BT change the routing between the exchange and Plusnet (as this is tunnelled we can't see it on a tracert).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

It's a very big change for an adjustment to the routing on the BT side (I think).
You're on FTTC right, lorisarvendu?
This has things such as 'INP' & 'Delay' as well as interleaving depth negotiated between the cabinet (DLM) and the modem, these can all have an effect on the latency.  You would be able to see these on an unlocked modem (or a third-party modem-router) if such things were permitted.  Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Here's my latency graph from the SamKnows monitoring box since February when I moved here.
You can see there have been several step changes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
w23
Pro

Thought there was a 'secrecy clause' with SK?  Wink
If I had one then I'd only have had it about a week and my latency would be virtually a straght horizontal line (+/- a few percent of 'base' value).
The sudden change after a month or so is fairly typical of FTTC DLM behaviour, or so I would be let to believe if I had an unlocked modem or non-approved modem-router (or both).  Lips_are_sealed
Call me 'w23'