Did you mean: 

Migration to IPStream Connect Network

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Migration to IPStream Connect Network

Released yesterday in Service Status...
What does the work involve?
We're moving a number of customers from our 'IP Stream' broadband network to our 'IP Stream Connect' broadband network.

How can I check if I'm on the new network? My domain is @plusdsl.net which is apparently the domain affected.
3 REPLIES 3
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Migration to IPStream Connect Network

I've had the ability to connect either on the old (using plusdsl.net) or the new (using plusdsl2.net) for a while and other than the fact that there may be different gateways you can't tell the difference. I know there are some gateways which are used for both the new network and 20CN so I don't think that helps.
The way this change is implemented is to tell BT to direct your connection via IPSC when you try to connect, so if you haven't disconnected/reconnected, had a dropped connection or rebooted your router you will still be on the old network. At some stage they may force a reconnection for everyone using plusdsl.net who is still on the old network but I suspect that will be some weeks away.
Edit: I've just been reminded that if they were to start forcing reconnections there would be an advance warning given via a service status posting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Thanks jelv...  what's the essential difference between the two networks? Speed or bandwidth?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Neither directly. It's a change in the way your connection is routed from the exchange to Plusnet's gateway. The connection from the exchange to your home is totally unchanged so although you are routed over part of the 21CN network you will still be on the 20CN ADSL1 and the 20CN DLM. The connection from BT to Plusnet is over 10Gb host links instead of 622Mb pipes* so averaging out will mean that you'd be less likely to see problems if you were sharing a LTS with a lot of heavy downloaders. Plusnet will still have to buy in the appropriate amount of capacity on the new host links.
I presume you have read http://community.plus.net/blog/2010/12/17/new-plusnet-broadband-network/ which told us about the new host links.
* Each 622Mb 20CN pipe comprises 4 155Mb segments and each segment terminates on 3 L2TP Tunnel Switches (LTS)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)