cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from one phone line to another in the same house

jschlackman
Dabbler

Migration from one phone line to another in the same house

My old man currently has Plusnet broadband through the 2nd phoneline in his house - mostly a holdover from when he had a second line for dialup back in the day. Having sensibly realised recently that the 2nd line rental is a complete waste of money, he now wants to move his broadband onto the main phone line so he can cancel the extra one.
I assume this should be put through as a 'Move my ADSL' request, but are there any pitfalls due to the fact that the address will be the same? Is this in fact the right way to go about it?
Would it perhaps be easier to simply request a new provision on the other line, given the current free setup offer (especially since that wouldn't come with the downtime from the move)?
Suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated...
6 REPLIES 6
James
Grafter

Re: Migration from one phone line to another in the same house

Hi there,
I think that you own suggestion to signup for a new account on your new telephone line would probably be the easiest option.
Having said that, there shouldn't really be any problems with using the house move tool.
jschlackman
Dabbler

Sounds good - since both options appear to be on the table, I'll just have a think and weigh up whether I prefer having him moan to me about the downtime or having to get all the new account details sorted out and changing all his email account settings for him.
Cheers,
J Schlackman
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

One small problem with going the new account route might be he would lose any referals (if any), though this may be over come by talking nicely to James, and he may move them for you (if he has any of course!)
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

I'm sure that we would be able to sort something out.
jschlackman
Dabbler

Excellent point, but he doesn't have any referrals (it's not that he doesn't like PN, it's just that I set the account up for him and anyone he 'refers' also comes through me) so that's not an issue in this case.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I've been pondering a similar move for some time.  Two lines were needed for a number of years:  Kids, Business, Fax etc - but now one line (Plus Broadband Phone :D) will do nicely thank you!
It should be easy to do - Pair swap at the exchange for BT and a number change at the Plusnet end.
But the probabilities of getting it right, and with minimal delay?
After Xmas, I may give the 'House move' route a try.  Some of the more recent reports have been quite encouraging.
If you do go down one of the routes, let us know how things went - I'm keen to follow this up.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.