cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

artificer
Grafter

Re: Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

there are occasions when it's more convenient to log in as root, as in when you are first installing and setting up a system, or you have a lot of rootly tasks to perform.  in this case it is advisable to pull the ethernet cable from the socket so that you can't be online.
wifi is more problematic and i would never log in as root on a wifi enabled system.
it is normally never necessary to log in as root because root privileges can be called from the user account.
colintivy
Rising Star

Well I am back and am astounded in the erudity of those who do delve into these matters very deeply.It sounds as though the comments from Grimme (28th) show that I am in much the same boat as his "case". so will follow the threads of any replies to him.  Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I have been into Computers for a long time,  machine code on very early machine, Fortran on Dec, Windows since 3.0.  but Not Linux.. I have heard it said that it is the Next OS.  but most of what is on this tread and from a couple of magazines is all greek to me.  How about a beginners thread for migrating to Linux?
PS I got the Knoppix 5.3.1 no install disc - liked it but where from here? Embarrassed
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Knoppix wouldn't be regarded as suitable for a first install.
Try a Debian based(Ubuntu) or Red Hat(Fedora) distro.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pierre_pierre
Grafter

But the point I am trying to make, is where do I get the instructions in English and not Greek Cry
artificer
Grafter

first step is to download a livecd, pierre_pierre.  there are plenty to choose from and, naturally, i recommend pclinuxo-2007.  ubuntu and its derivatives are popular, particularly linux mint, which has had highly favourable reviews.  mepis is also considered a reasonable distro for beginners.  i'm sure others will have recommendations they can elaborate on further.
i can't reiterate often enough that the best way to proceed is to browse the various distro forums to see how welcoming they are to new linux users.  the last thing you want to be met with is 'rtfm'.  you won't get that on pclinuxos.com, nor reallylinux.com, where the term is banished to perdition.  both forums will do their utmost to get you up and running.  pclinuxos.com is specific to the distro.  reallylinux.com will help you with any distro.
there are some good wikis to help the newbie get started.
VileReynard
Hero

Try http://www.pcmech.com/article/installing-ubuntu-linux/
They have a video for a previous release (released 6 months ago) - but there aren't any really significant differences.

Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Knoppix wouldn't be regarded as suitable for a first install.
Try a Debian based(Ubuntu) or Red Hat(Fedora) distro.

I agree with your comment about Knoppix, but not with the rest.
A year ago I was just starting with Linux. I first tried Ubuntu and thought yes, I should be able to master this.
Then I tried PCLinuxOS and latterly (amongst others) Mepis. There is no question in my mind that they are far more user-friendly and better for a Linux beginner. Have you tried either of them? And most first-timers seem to prefer KDE to Gnome.
But as others have said, the choice of distro is very subjective and the best way is to try various distros LiveCDs and see whats best.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Ben
Next time you use the computer you can use root...

I'd strongly advise against running a gui as root, that's a very quick and easy way to trash your system. Also one of the reasons that *nix based systems are more secure is that user's can't do much in the way of damage. By logging into the GUI as root and using it to browse the web etc any problems with your software become greatly magnified.

I can't agree enough with this advice and warn again all Linux newbies from trying to set up a Linux box just like they have been running their MSWindows machines.  Running a Linux GUI as root (and I'm sure if you had a choice you would also have no root passwd set . . .  Undecided ) is a sure-fire way to get your machine compromised as soon as you come across the next script kiddie.  Now, browsing the web as root takes the highest medal of stupidity of course.  Please understand that a badly configured Linux machine is just as vulnerable as your average MSWindows set up out there - so just DON'T DO IT!
Heloman
Grafter

I strongly agree with not using root signons - it's a bit like using Windows  Grin
However, anything you want to do in Linux can be done.
It does have it's uses - if you are strongly averse to command entry screens.
So if you want GUI features + access all areas + you don't want to learn about gksu etc then root logins are the way to go.
Don't be surprised if it all ends in tears though.

Lol! I asked earlier if it was possible to sign on as root with Ubuntu without using the Command Line. You replied "yes" and then gave me a list of CL instructions to achieve this....
I also said I had been severely rebuked in the Ubuntu forums for wanting to do so. Now two Ubuntu users have slapped my wrist in this forum .
Using Windoze XP Home I was able to access the registry and system files with impunity, and it never resulted in tears. Used sensibly there is no problem with logging on as root in Linux. Only a madman would use it when connected to the web, but why assume we are all mad? Its for admin only.
The reason I needed to was because I was continually trying out new installed distros. I needed  to keep modifying the bootloader, and that is easily done by cutting/pasting the Grub Menu1st list. That needs root, and no way could I have done it using the CL.
It seems that Ubuntu users are intent on keeping Linux for Geeks who understand things like CL. But that won't win over the ordinary home user like me... 🙂
VileReynard
Hero

Actually, I was suggesting you entered two simple commands into a terminal windowRoll_eyes
An actual command line would not support things like copy and paste etc...
If you just want to do the standard things then you don't want or need root access.
Of course, if you can't use a text editor (such as gedit) then you are going to be rather limited.
Have you tried the notepad program available on Windows XP?
It works in a similar fashion.
"Heaven helps those who help themselves"  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

MickKi
Grafter

Can I similarly suggest an alternative?
Instead of login into X as the root user, just use a file manager with admin rights.  In KDE go to System/More Applications/ and select 'File Manager - Super User Mode', enter your root passwd and you're good to go.  Launching a file to edit it from within Konqueror while running Konqueror as root, will open an editor (e.g. kedit) also with root access rights.
Same applies if you open a terminal, su & passwd to become root and then run your file manager.
HTH.
lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
But the point I am trying to make, is where do I get the instructions in English and not Greek Cry

Over the years, I've found the two biggest factors which dictate whether to make the change to Linux or not are hardware support and comparable applications. What you need to do is to grab hold of a few Live CD's and see which distro(s) support your hardware and what applications are available.
Things you should be looking for:
- Can you get the correct video resolution and refresh rate.
- Does your printer work.
- Does your sound work correctly.
- Does your internet connection work.
- Do you have any fancy hardware, if so, does it work.
- Make a list of all the applications that you need and then see if there are decent alternatives.
All this can be done without having to install anything onto your hard drive.
Then we come to which desktop to use:
There are many different desktops available but the two most popular are Gnome and KDE. As to which one is best, it's a case of playing about with both and deciding for yourself which one is right for you.
Not wishing to be biased in any way, I would suggest getting a copy of the Ubuntu Live CD which uses the Gnome desktop and getting a copy of the PCLinuxOS Live CD which uses the KDE desktop. Have a good look at both of them and see which one is the better one for you. Once you've done that, it might be a good idea to have a look at the Mandriva One Live CD (KDE desktop) and the Fedora Live CD (Gnome desktop) before even thinking about installing anything onto your hard drive.
If you have problems with anything, go into the relevant forums and see if you can find solutions there but above all else, don't rush it!
Hope this helps .....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thats what I call good advice for a beginner.  One thing I found out was Printer Drivers, I have a Lexmark all in one, I understand that Lexmark are a closed shop and their printers wont work on any Linux. so yes I will have to play. 
Just got the Subscriber Edition of PCplus, theme this time is alternatives to M$. Cheesy Grin Cool
VileReynard
Hero

According to http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Hardware-HOWTO/printers.html many Lexmark printers are supported.
Suck it and see.