Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Migrating to Linux (Ubuntu?)

Do you know if Brother MFC-5840CD Printer Drivers ar Supported  on Linux Ubuntu ?
chillypenguin
Grafter

This link was on the first page of Google;
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-422995-highlight-.html?sid=12989ae88c12e29c6cb78aacbbaa8fb8
OK, not Ubuntu, but it may help.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I have a BT Voyager 1055 wireless USB device that is advertised as only working with XP and VISTA. I have just got it to function in Ubuntu by following the advice in the post by ukripper at May 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM here. It didn't go quite as smoothly as advertised but it worked eventually and this Ubuntu novice is well chuffed.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Thanks chillypenguin for the info I will check it out!
MickKi
Grafter

The Gentoo way is not necessarily applicable to Ubuntu - although parts of it may be.  Try this instead:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793
HTH.
Heloman
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
Actually, I was suggesting you entered two simple commands into a terminal windowRoll_eyes
An actual command line would not support things like copy and paste etc...
If you just want to do the standard things then you don't want or need root access.
Of course, if you can't use a text editor (such as gedit) then you are going to be rather limited.
Have you tried the notepad program available on Windows XP?
It works in a similar fashion.

Of course a CL would not support copy/paste etc. You're not understanding what I'm trying to say.
If I need to copy/paste lines from various Menu.1st lists across different partitions and drives then I can easily do it with root access.
Without it I can't.
Yes I can use text editors like gedit.
Yes I used to use notepad when I last had XP installed a year ago.
"Heaven help those who are incredibly condescending"  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
Heloman
Grafter

Actually, I was suggesting you entered two simple commands into a terminal windowRoll_eyes
"Heaven helps those who help themselves"  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ok I'm trying to help myself, but need some guidance from an expert.
What is it that you enter in a terminal window if it not a Command Line?
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Heloman
Of course a CL would not support copy/paste etc.

It would.  You can use the mouse to select text and middle click to paste it.  If you are in a virtal console you need to be running gpm to have the mouse working.  In X just bring up as many terminals as you want and you can similarly select and paste with your mouse by using the middle click buffer.  In any type of terminal, with or without mouse, you can use Screen and enter Ctrl+A, Escape before you can use the space bar and your arrow keys to select text and place it in the screen buffer.  Shift+Insert to paste it wherever the cursor is placed.
MickKi
Grafter

"Heaven helps those who help themselves"  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Ok I'm trying to help myself, but need some guidance from an expert.
What is it that you enter in a terminal window if it not a Command Line?

You can run commands.  One or many successive lines.
You can run an application within the terminal;  e.g. vim, emacs, etc.  If the application is written/installed with the ncurses based gui you also get a simple (ugly) guified interface; e.g. iptraf.
You can run an application which opens its own window; e.g. /usr/bin/firefox
HTH.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If I need to copy/paste lines from various Menu.1st lists across different partitions and drives then I can easily do it with root access.
"Heaven help those who are incredibly condescending"   Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

Sorry about the last bit.  Sad
Try using the sudo command - this executes the command following as if you were signed on as root.
So sudo gedit /etc/Menu.1st runs as root from a terminal window
If you open a second terminal window and type (for instance)
sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/a-filename
Then you can happily (?) copy and paste things between the files.
You may want to read up on sudo command e.g. http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/man/sudo.html#examples

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Heloman
Grafter

Apology happily accepted!
But your (and MickKi's - thank you to him) detailed instructions just emphasize my point. Why on earth should I need to learn a new language when I can achieve the same result from the gui by logging into root. Yes I can happily type in what you tell me to, but I don't understand what I'm doing.
Why should I open Firefox with /usr/bin/firefox as mickki suggests when i can just click on an icon?.
What's a "virtual console" and "gpm", MickKi.?
I don't need any of this, to me double dutch, with PCLOS. Believe me, I and most people can be trusted to use root logon with just a little bit of commonsense.
I don't believe Linux can ever appeal to the average home user if they need to know what you suggest. But I know I'm just an old fogie and beyond redemption. I started with Ubuntu, but when I discovered more user-friendly distros like PCLOS and Mepis I was hooked.
Each to their own.
Regards   Smiley
cp:quote
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Thats exactly the point I have been trying to make,  If it is to appeal to the masses, you shouldnt have a geeks mentality to get it working - sorry it might not be bloated, but I think I will stick with something I know for now. Crazy
artificer
Grafter

you don't need a geeks mentality to get linux working, just a little common sense and a willingness to accept that things are done differently than in windows.
many new users keep a dual-boot install so that they have windows and linux side by side and can use the applications they are comfortable with while they learn linux.  a little further on from there, they explore the power of virtualisation and install windows into virtual box where they can use those same applications from within windows within linux.  two operating systems running concurrently.  you do need a reasonably powerful machine with a minimum of 1gb ram to run one.
the great beauty of the livecd is that it allows you to explore the operating system without touching your installed system.  with the copy2ram feature offered with some livecds, you can run it entirely in memory - again, about 1gb ram is useful in this case - then, when you reboot, your machine is as it was before you started.  it's a great way to try various flavours to see which one suits best.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you want to do some rather special configuration, you will need to edit configuration files (with root access).
If aren't happy with using sudo in a one line command, you really should think twice about making changes to your system - but luckily this is rarely necessary; the preloaded GUI is ready to go when you switch the machine on.
For the "standard" configuration - e.g. setting your wallpaper, screensavers then use the GUI
For running the apps. either start them from a menu - or use a "task bar" icon for frequently used apps.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

lingbob
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
Thats exactly the point I have been trying to make,  If it is to appeal to the masses, you shouldnt have a geeks mentality to get it working - sorry it might not be bloated, but I think I will stick with something I know for now. Crazy

You don't need to be a Geek to get Linux working these days; there's nothing Geeky about "pointing and clicking". With all due respect to those concerned, all the chat about CLI's, terminals, root, sudo, etc, etc, is for the advanced user and would never be used for normal day to day activities. In fact, things are that easy now that it's doubtful if any of that stuff would ever be required by the average user at all. Don't be put off, stick with it  Smiley
Regards .....