cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from BT - IP Profile reset

bogmonster

Migrating from BT - IP Profile reset

Hi,
I have just signed up so still waiting for service to be activated. I am migrating from BT. My profile is currently completely shot due to a dodgy router (just swapped) and a dodgy ADSL faceplate (new one on order - using old style filter in master socket at the moment). First off lots of disconnects when the phone rang and then lots of disconnects while troubleshooting caused DLM to have a seizure.  I am not convinced the profile is not stuck now Sad
I understand that Plusnet do not use LLU and as such I will still be on a BT DSLAM. Will my service go into training mode or will my existing profile be carried forwards? If so I would like the profile to be reset first., will that be possible? I live in the sticks some way from the exchange so my ADSL sucks at the best of times.
BW - BM
4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Migrating from BT - IP Profile reset

Hi Bogmonster,
Welcome to the forums and PlusNet.
When PlusNet activate your service you should go into a new 10 day training period which will reset everything.
If you were having problems with inbound calls disrupting your BB service and that has not been addressed / resolved, then expect to be still blighted with it, as those issues invariably relate to the line / line card in the exchange.  Sometimes a different filter can improve matters.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bogmonster

Thanks Townman,
I think the disconnects are fixed now. Took some time to resolve as two components were faulty and just swapping one out at a time didn't help.... I think both items were damaged in the same lightning strike, certainly some of the router ethernet ports failed at that point. I have now lost three routers to lightning strikes - I live on top of the Mendip hills and the lines are very exposed. Just ordered a new Billion so I hope that does not go the same way.
Fingers crossed - have not had a disconnect in 4 days now despite me dialling my home number from my mobile countless times. The only other explanation is changes to the profile but I don't think so, the problem went away the instant I swapped the router AND the filter together. Now just need to improve the 1.4mbps I am currently getting and see if can break the 2mbps barrier again  Cry 
BT were totally unhelpful in resetting my profile so that provided enough energy to overcome the inertia that was keeping me with them (yes, I do know Plusnet is owned by BT). Part the reason I choose Plusnet was the active forum where it is clear that timely assistance from knowledgeable Plusnet staff and users is available. I want my ADSL to be a reliable service I can largely forget about, not a constant battle with a clueless call centre - I have more important things to do Smiley
BM
bogmonster

I guess I should add that if the disconnects come back I hope Plusnet will be better at getting an OR engineer out. My neighbour had a similar problem and it was a fault at the exchange. To be honest I was in two minds to go with a LLU ISP just in case the BT exchange equipment was at fault. It's still not too late to back out of Plusnet. Sky was the other option but their estimate of 0.3 to 0.9mbps made me feel uncomfortable. BT estimates my achievable speed to be 1mbps but thankfully it has never descended to those depths. However it does cause issues because BT don't want to know as long as the the bandwidth is over 1mbps despite the fact that I have previously got over 2.5mbps and my neighbour gets 3.5mbps.
BM
EDIT - Oh no, I spoke too soon, the adsl just dropped again when the phone rang Cry
ANOTHER EDIT - I tried again with BT and this time was not quite so tortuous, they are looking into it. I also phoned Plusnet and my order is on hold until BT sort out the issues as this should be the quickest route. I was genuinely impressed that the person I talked to at Plusnet appeared to know what they were talking about, was not patronising and didn't blame me for the problem with my broadband. I know it is a bit sad that this should impress me but after years of BT customer service that is where I am at.
BM
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If the fault is still ongoing when you've moved over to us just let us know and we'll do what we can to get it resolved asap for you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.