Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated to 21CN/ADSL2+ - no warning!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Migrated to 21CN/ADSL2+ - no warning!

Not a major complaint, but just a little bit miffed here folks!
First a bit of background:-
My line is normally rock solid at 8Mb, it only drops when I switch off the router to go on holiday. I like my stable line, without interleaving, as I use it for voip. Ok, a little speed increase would be nice but not at the expense of stability.
Back in June last year I was advised that my connection was going to be migrated to 21CN and being aware of some of the nightmare scenarios of the 21CN DLM I requested to remain on 20CN and this was agreed.
The story so far:-
Saturday lunchtime, happended to go into my router configuration ( not something I do very often ) and did a double-take when I saw 15Mb synch!!.  My router is a 2700HGV and so I went into the DSL diagnostics page to see what was going on. From the history it looked like I had been changed to ADSL2+ sometime before Friday 8th. It had been synching at 13.9Mb with a 6db margin up until about 18:00 when the DLM ( bless it! ) decided everything was hunky-dory so lets give a 3db margin a try, hence the 15Mb synch. As you might guess, this was just trying too hard for the line and after 3 or 4 resychs, as evening approached the noise margin dropped to about 2db. Now I really didn't want the DLM to start messing with my interleaving and so at this point I manually resynched at 14.4Mb and the line has maintained synch since then ( although not checked this morning ). The error counts, as you would expect, are much higher, 30000/day against about 700/day previously and I'm yet to see what effect that has on my voip quality.
So in conclusion, so far so good but  I'll be keeping a close eye on it for a few days, it really would be nice to have a little more control over the DLM. I would have been quite happy with the 6db target and 13.9 Mb synch and the line would be much more stable and error counts lower. Whatever happended to the no DLM trial ?
However, a couple of points for the DC team to consider that might reduce problems with future migrations  perhaps...
What happened to the email informing me I was to be migrated ? all I can find is a closed ticket dated 2nd April.
From the faq here http://community.plus.net/faster-plusnet-broadband-for-free-faq/
When will I be moved?
At the moment we can’t give you a definitive date for your line to move to ADSL2+ but we’ll be in touch via email at least 2 weeks before we move you across
Since I've never had a PlusNet router , how did you know my router was ADSL2+ compatible ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Migrated to 21CN/ADSL2+ - no warning!

Hi MisterW,
Really sorry about that - I've asked some questions and it seems the emails for the bulk upgrade this month are due to be sent today even though some of the upgrades have gone through already. The connection will still work fine if the router is only compatible with ADSL1 but I appreciate you should have been told.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Matt,
Thanks for checking, what I don't quite understand is how the ticket (#107005230) is on my account without an email being generated.
Edit:- email just appeared...looks like you kicked someone into action Matt

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Hary
Grafter

Does this mean that customers who previously requested to remain on 20CN are going to be ignored.
I too requested some time ago not to be moved over, due to distance from exchange would probably make more problems than it was worth, emails or not I hope this will be honoured
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Hary,
We have a list of people who've requested not to be added to the trial, your account is on that list. We'll make sure that bulk upgrades aren't submitted for customers who've specifically requested not to be upgraded Smiley
Hope that reassures you,
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are we confusing two things.
Moving to 21CN gives the ability to get ADSL2+ but you don't have to.
Plusnet are progressively moving all customers over to 21CN I believe because of the cost advantage but as I remember you can still opt out of ADSL2+  I certainly did as my line length is such that I would be unlikely to see an effective speed increase and I didn't want to go anywhere near the ADSL2+ DLM system
Hary
Grafter

@ Matt
Thank you, suitably reassured.
jwhite
Grafter

Same has happened to me, though I'm not looking for exemption.  I'd had problems for the last few weeks with high error rates, sometimes making web-browsing slow and downloads glacial.  Finally gave up on the old router and bought a new one today, but when I got connected I noticed the downstream speed had jumped to over 8 Mbps (8807, initially).  Not believing my eyes, I re-connected the old router and saw the "ADSL2plus" message in the log, though connection speed remained under 8M (as it has for over a year).  
Now I'm wondering if the upgrade has somehow damaged my old router, or at least been incompatible with the set-up.  The Service Notice (#105001789) - no email received - showed changeover was expected on 2nd March.  [Samdoesntknow says  21CN WBC "Enabled" (past tense) "as of 31/05/2011".]  
The configuration on the old router was set for PPPoA - VC, but the new one auto-configured as PPPoE - LLC.  Does this not matter any more, or should I change it manually?
Epyon
Grafter

21CN offers ADSLmax or (do they call it something else) either way it can't damage you're router.
moemoff
Grafter

Quote from: jwhite
Same has happened to me, though I'm not looking for exemption.  I'd had problems for the last few weeks with high error rates, sometimes making web-browsing slow and downloads glacial.  Finally gave up on the old router and bought a new one today, but when I got connected I noticed the downstream speed had jumped to over 8 Mbps (8807, initially).  Not believing my eyes, I re-connected the old router and saw the "ADSL2plus" message in the log, though connection speed remained under 8M (as it has for over a year).  
Now I'm wondering if the upgrade has somehow damaged my old router, or at least been incompatible with the set-up.  The Service Notice (#105001789) - no email received - showed changeover was expected on 2nd March.  [Samdoesntknow says  21CN WBC "Enabled" (past tense) "as of 31/05/2011".]  
The configuration on the old router was set for PPPoA - VC, but the new one auto-configured as PPPoE - LLC.  Does this not matter any more, or should I change it manually?

The settings for the router should be as follows for ADSL2+
Connection type: PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Encapsulating Type: VC MUX
Modulation: ADSL2+ G.992.5 or multimode
I found when I was first moved that although I synced higher the throughput was still the old ADSL1 speed. It takes something like 10 days to train the line and say a couple of days for the throughput to start catching up with sync. During that time the SNR sank from 10 to 5 or 6
Just my experience.. hope it helps
jwhite
Grafter

I changed the settings on the new router to the recommended ones, but it didn't make much difference to performance.  I'd always thought you could use either PPPoA or PPPoE on a particular connection, but not both.  Sync speed is falling away rapidly as the router keeps restarting when I change a parameter.  I need to leave it alone for a while.  Plusnet seems convinced the problem is disconnects, rather than errors, but that's just me following their troubleshooting procedures!
Error rate seems to have dropped since I updated the router firmware, but it could be coincidence.  The new router is very grudging with line stats.
The old router might not have been damaged by the new service, but by the physical changeover itself.  I normally leave it switched on 24/7, so it would have been live when the engineers changed the jumper cable.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: MisterW
Whatever happended to the no DLM trial ?

As far as I'm concerned, that was a great success AND I believe that you should be able to request that your line is put on a 'fixed' DLM profile e.g. 6dB target margin with no interleaving - Matt should be able to confirm.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Already done thanks.