Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MiFi questions

Bud
Grafter

Re: MiFi questions

Quote from: Simon
To those of you with unlocked units - did you acquire them unlocked or did you have to invoke the black arts to unlock them yourselves.
Pointers to where or how would be useful in ether case.

I unlocked mine myself, but I gather the new ones with newer firmware can't be done with the same method
gyre
Grafter

Quote from: rogadodge
Sorry,gave you wrong info ( half-cocked again). Max cable length is 3m for usb 1.1. And 5m for usb 2.0. The 5m is calculated using : max delay is 26 ns or 5.2ns a meter which is close to the maximum achievable transmission speed of standard copper wire.  ( so the tech pages tell us.).
In other words its about speed and round-trip delay.

Thanks Smiley
paulbrett
Dabbler

Quote from: Surfer
MiFi does not have a cable connection!

Err...  Actually, it does.  I have one right here, and I can connect to it with Wifi or the (supplied) cable.
When connected via cable, it appears as another Network entry in Windows.
Paul.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

looking at the Wiki article,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MiFi there are a lot of different  ones available and it seems that in the UK the term MiFi is copyright to 3  and sone varients have USB, that can charge the batteries
Surfer
Grafter

Quote from: paulbrett
Quote from: Surfer
MiFi does not have a cable connection!

Err...  Actually, it does.  I have one right here, and I can connect to it with Wifi or the (supplied) cable.
When connected via cable, it appears as another Network entry in Windows.
Paul.

It does not need a cable connection to operate. 
Simon_M
Grafter

All of them have a cable to allow the batteries to be recharged. As is the current trend, many of these charging cables are in USB form factor. I believe that some will also provide a network connection via a USB cable. Whether you can plug a USB cable between the unit & your laptop & have both a network connection & simultaneously charge the unit from the laptop I have no idea.
As you can imagine, when I was thinking of temporarily positioning the unit on the roof to get the best signal, I was planning to be using it with no cables connected at all.
I'm not sure if the velcro comment was intended as a method of keeping it on the roof if I forgot about it & drove off, but I'm not sure I would trust velcro to withstand the force generated by an 80mph wind.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No - keep a strip of velcro with the unit and fix it to the steering wheel when you put the unit on the roof. Hopefully that will remind you before a disaster occurs!
an 80mph wind.

I hope you are talking about driving in to a 10mph headwind!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Surfer
Grafter

I suppose if you are really worried about forgetting it, there is always super glue!  Grin
jim:quote
puddy
Grafter

To those of you with unlocked units - did you acquire them unlocked or did you have to invoke the black arts to unlock them yourselves.
Pointers to where or how would be useful in ether case.

I got mine from 3G they said its was locked but I got round it without any unlocking
Tool>option
New>general=leave both unticked
Next
Text settings-should be on their as the info will be downloaded from the Sim card
Profile Management
choose new
Profile name you can choose o2 3HG Vodafone T-Mobile etc
Choose your network name i.e 3
APN
Click static
APN=three.co.uk                                                       APN For o2= mobile o2.co.uk
next[/
Authencation
Access number is *98#                                          access number for o2=915000                                    
Username =leave blank                                         for o2=o2wap
password=leave blank                                           for o2 =password
next
advance -no settings needed
Network
network type
3 is WCDMA o2 GSM preferred
next choose
Registration Mode
Click manual search and register>refresh and pick your operater then click register click okay

Thats it
Puddy
ps 3 say you have to use their dongle to get MIFI not so my dell studio 1555 already had the correct wiring I just brought a intel 5530 mini pci-card the sim reader card was hidden in the inside the battery opening.  I can use it in the house with just 1 bar  Iam located in a sleepy lincolnshire village
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
an 80mph wind.

I hope you are talking about driving in to a 10mph headwind!

Of course, or more likely a 20mph headwind, which I find often happens as I come off the motorway. On some German autobahns, the same problem can occur even with quite a stiff tail wind.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Havnt got one, but according to the Wiki site I referenced you can get one from Carphone wharehouse, excuse the swearing, and they sell unlocked phones etc
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
I got mine from 3G they said its was locked but I got round it without any unlocking

Last time I looked, about a month ago, Three looked to be the obvious network to buy from. No point in my looking again for at least a couple of months, because it'll take nearly 3 months to get my right leg strong enough to drive again after last week's little episode (ruptured quadriceps tendon, for those who missed the story). I wonder if the firmware will still be unlocked by then - what you found sounds like a mistake on their part.
I am located in a sleepy lincolnshire village

Sleepy little Lincolnshire town here, except we do quite well. We are surrounded by hills on three sides & it always was a black spot, right back to the days of mobile radio. So a local mobile radio company put up a nice big mast on the industrial estate just above the town (mostly so the pea viners could stay in touch, I believe) & Vodafone put one of the very first mobile phone cells on it when analogue phones first came out. Vodafone has been strong in the area ever since & I think it's spurred the others on. We do still have some completely dead areas though.