Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metronet Prioritisation

billbo
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Metronet Prioritisation

Hello all - yes it's been a while - but I've rediscovered that a PC can be used for more that accessing the internet and that there is more to the internet than reading forums  Wink
And my query is...
I look after a Metronet account for a hospital radio station VNC is used to remotely access the network  using ports 5911 to 5915 and often speeds are so low that useful access is impossible (peak times at weekends and Monday evenings).
An audio out put is streamed via port 88 again connection can be too slow to fill the audio buffer.
We also use port 5003 for outside broadcast audio connection feed to the studio. This is a point-to-point connection best described as VOIP or streaming - so far we have had no speed issues with this feed.
1. Are any of these ports subject to throttling on the Metronet accounts?
2. Would the speed issues continue if we switched to a Plusnet account eg. Option 2 (being a charity - it's just within our price range)?
Thank is advance
Cheers
Bill
9 REPLIES 9
James
Grafter

Re: Metronet Prioritisation

Hi Bill,
Good to see you around Smiley
Port 80 traffic, along with streaming and VPN should see a high priority on our network.  Given that you're seeing poor speeds, I'd get a wireshark capture raised if you possibly could?  That will identify how the traffic being handled ansd whether or not we're misidentifying your traffic.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml
Mark
Grafter

using ports 5911 to 5915

They look like fairly standard VNC ports Bill but I'll get Tommo to check that for you this morning.
As James says, VPN traffic is prioritised and shouldnt be suffering.
Good to see you on the boards.

billbo
Community Veteran

Thanks guys.
I'm downloading Wireshark at this mo.....
So Option 2 should also meet our needs for this account?
James
Grafter

Yep, definitely.
billbo
Community Veteran

Ok the trustees have made a decision and we want to "upgrade" our Metronet Option 2 to Plusnet Option 2.
I went to the PN site and tried to set up a dial up account ready for the switch over but as the requisite telephone number is associated with a hospital, I can only register as a "business user". Will this mean that Option 2 will not be an option or should I just go ahead and create the account?
If we can go ahead with the upgrade..
1.can we keep our current fixed IP address?
2. because of the distance from the exchange can we keep our fixed speed rather than going MAX? (quality is more important than speed.)
By the way our next billing date is the 17th - when is the best time to "switch".
Many thanks in advance for looking at this.
Cheers
Bill
James
Grafter

Hi Bill,
Unfortunately I don't belive that it would be possible to keep your fixed IP address, as our different brands use different IP ranges.  however, you would be able to get a fixed IP address free of charge with Plusnet.
Regarding the fixed rate product, there would be no issue in receiving a fixed rate service, but you'd need to make this clear when you signed up.  Just give our customer services guys a ring and they should be able to sort things out for you.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

James may correct me on this but I believe that presently you cannot get a Home Product with a business line without some fiddling
James
Grafter

Sorry - Missed that.
We can manually fix things like that and if it's being used for residential purposes, there would be no issues as far as we're concerned.
billbo
Community Veteran

Hi James
Well the switch to PN Option 2 went smoothly....
BUT the the Metronet account has incurred a cancellation charge - surely this is wrong when a transfer to Plusnet is involved - Ticket: 26678351 refers
This account is for a poorly funded charity and any magic you can conjure up will be appreciated.
Cheers
Bill