cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messing with internal extensions...

tomm
Grafter

Messing with internal extensions...

If you are going to mess about with your internal telephone extensions, even if it's completely separate from the extension on which your ADSL router is sitting, turn off the router first - speaking from experience.
I should've known better. Sadly I messed with an internal telephone extension on Wednesday and didn't turn off my router beforehand. Consequently by the time I noticed what was happening (Thursday evening) my router had thrown a wobbler and was constantly attempting and failing to sync with the exchange. After a complete power cycle the router successfully synced with the exchange.
But the chaos beforehand with the constant resyncs left me with a 500kbps stable rate and an initial noise margin of 15db. For the past 18 months I've had a stable 2000kbps and an initial noise margin of 12db. Slaps head in frustration for not thinking  :-[.
It's a while since I've bothered to worry about the way the BT systems worked, Can the initial noise margin automatically go back down again? If it won't go back down to 12db then I'll be left with 1500kbps more often than not. If it's automatic how long will I be left waiting now?
Thanks, Tom.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Messing with internal extensions...

Hi Tom,
The speed profile side of things will take about 3 days to reset.  SNR wise, this could take anything upto 30 days.  Hopefully though it'll just reset itself over the course of the weekend and then everything will be fine for Monday.
tomm
Grafter

OK James, Thanks. I've seen the 3 day thing before as I've had the occasional blip down to 1500kbps - when I had 512 broadband I used to think "wow it's fast", now I want my 2meg back  :). I'll  keep and eye on it.
Tom.
tomm
Grafter

OK, the stable rate has increased ok to 1500kbps. But no sign of the initial noise margin increasing. I'm quite cynical and think in 30 days I'll still be sitting here with 15db and never getting back to the 2Mb which my line can support in a stable fashion.
If I raise a ticket would it be possible for something to be done to reset this or give it a kick?
Thanks.
James
Grafter

It's possible, but it's a battle.
tomm
Grafter

Ok, James. I think it's time to battle then Smiley .  I wasn't planning on going anywhere.
James
Grafter

Thanks Tomm,
Raise a ticket and mark it for my attention.
State what your current noise margin is and what you would like it to be reduced to.  Generally it's a good idea to aim for 3dB lower than what it currently is.
I take it this is your idea of an early Christmas present for me Wink
tomm
Grafter

Will do.
I have included it on my Christmas list, if you can deliver then I'll refer to you as Father Christmas  Grin
I know I caused the problem but at the end of the day when you at best achieve only 2Mb line, A 500kbps drop makes quite a difference. Not such a big deal for someone with 8Mb line.
Thanks.
James
Grafter

No worries.
I'll get it raised now.