cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messed up my connection help!

scootie
Grafter

Re: Messed up my connection help!

the hours of darkness are allways worst for snr due to the street lights.
has it dropped conection when the snr drops into the minus or does your router hold on?.
switching to fast path will stop any error correction happening at the dslam but give a nice reduction in ping time. but i fear with your snr droping in to the minus the errors would be on the high side.
but being on fast path does have another plus side you can sync at a slightly high speed than interleaving. so if your snr target was to increase to 9db when on fast path due to a high error count the increase in sync speed would just about off set any decearse in sync speed you get from the higher snr target.
to have interleaving turned on or off only takes 24 hours for each request. bt normally do the switch the following moring. not to sure about weekends thoe.
as for the power line adapters try PM'ing meomoff from page 1 and ask of his thoughts of thoughput ect. all thoe he seems to have the top notch model of these products so might vary from the lower end models.
As for you comment on the gamer froum about xboxers preparing for a hard core session make sure you refrigerate your console before hand.
well this xboxer uses dry ice. less moisture and lower temps than the fridge Grin
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Grin I thought you'd like that one m8  Wink Can't say I noticed any dropped connections on the router, just left it running and fell asleep maybe theres a log in the router stats software or the router itself I could check? Or if it wouldn't reconnect on loss then I can assume it did'nt as it was still on this morning.  Undecided
Pm'ing meomoff and I might stick another post in the hardware section folk are probably sick of reading this post by now  Grin
That doesn't mean its over  Roll_eyes
scootie
Grafter

not to sure about your router but there is most likely a figure on the stats section of your router to tell you if how many re connections have happend since you lasted powerd up the router.
my self just look at my sync speed and if its lower or higher then i know its resynced thats if i havent got router stats lite captureing snr and connection speed graphs.
i would give the fast path ago as its no trouble to get switched back on to interleaving if your line does become unstable being on fast path.
the first graph shows my snr droping that happend before it got dark and the second shows where my snr will most likely sit around till the small hours of the moring when it will start to raise again back up to the 11db mark.
yeah i would start a new theard about the power adapters. cast my eye over it later as i would like to get my desktops hard wired and just use wireless on the old lappy's
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I will nothing ventured I guess, I'm going to have a try with router stats tomorrow in day light and try resyncing at the optimum time. Only time I'm in the house in day light really. Also gonna try from the test socket on the bt box and a decent cable see If I can improve my snr and atten a touch further( maybe get a face plate) before trying with fast path, at least for now I sort of know where I'm at.
Got some weird results between 9.20 and 10.40 rest of time hovered average 4db  Huh
Router didn't show any discos on log.
BTW ignore the connection drop that was me messing with the app
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Checked my stats today in day light, going off the graph the best time for me to get a resync would be about between 12.30pm when my snr seems to average about the 6db fluctuating between 9 and 5 area. As far as I know I have had no connection loss although updating to IE candidate 1 has now stopped me accessing the router log page (getting the diagnose connection problems page)  Angry Bummer.
It would appear that no resync is neccasary as my profile has already been upped to 5980 from BT, this begs the question if my line is stable without me messing with it  Roll_eyes and BT have me down as 5980 throughput then even with the 13% less than line speed should be able to have a 5000 profile from PN who have me down as 4000 and have done since day 1.
Is this cast in stone or can it be increased or is there a perfectly good reason why PN have me down as 4000?
I'm also going to knock the interleaving off and see if that helps, PS3 was very laggy even on cod4 last night which is unusal and BFBC was totally unplayable, hey thats brought me full circle on how this post came about in the first place  Grin
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
It would appear that no resync is neccasary as my profile has already been upped to 5980 from BT, this begs the question if my line is stable without me messing with it  Roll_eyes and BT have me down as 5980 throughput then even with the 13% less than line speed should be able to have a 5000 profile from PN who have me down as 4000 and have done since day 1.

looking at the sync speed table on herehttp://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml if you have allways synced above 5120kbps for the past 3 or more days your bt ip profile should be 4500kbps and PN's the same. i dont know how true that table is as iam unlucky and cant sync higher enough to get past a 3000kbps profile >:(.
your snr does look abit unstable but if your not having any resync's i wouldnt worry about it to much.
edit. just looked at your first set of snr's and noticed your sync speed is 4600kbps so if you sync at night and this is your average night time sync speed your line profile is right at 4000kbps unless you can keep that day time sync connected for 3 days you will not see a 5000kbps profile
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi guys,
well you seem to have got the hang of it now AWB, my recommendation would be to leave things alone for a couple of days, to see if it's nice and stable. You obviously have a bit of a noisey line, some of those snr swings are a bit wild. If you can hang on to that sync 5980 you should get a 5M profile shortly. If things seem stable, you could give it a try again from your extension socket (with that surplus wiring disconnected) and see what it is like.
Another tip, speedtester.net doesn't have a good reputation, it can give unreliable results especially ping times. Try http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ for speedtests, much better.
There's generally no need/point in using the BT tester unless you thing you have a problem ie your PN profile doesn't relate to your sync speed (from your router). The BT test will tell you what they've got for your profile and the sync speed will always be the same as your router (unless it is faulty.).
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

yeah thats the plan, I didn't want to mention trying the extension again in case all the people who have helped me here think Im a glutton for punishment  Grin but I will try out of curiosity. I work away from home most weeks so if I try on a sunday and get any probs at least I can ditch it and it should be ok again by time I get home.
Investing in a face plate and decent rj11 cable to see if that improves the erratic snr, other than that its out of my hands.