cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merged: Threads RE: Unread posts links not working as expected

Assos
Grafter

Merged: Threads RE: Unread posts links not working as expected

If I click the unread posts since last visit, it tells me (correctly) that there are none and offers me a link to check all unread posts. When I click this I am also told there are none even though there are  Huh
Moderators note by James (James_H) : Merged a number of threads discussing this problem. Apologies for the confusing order of posts.
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

No unread posts and no unread topics

However I have received two email notifications of replies and checking - they were made today and I only just logged on.
Also clicking on show all unread posts just brings up "no messages"
EDIT - seems to be working OK now
Nick_Russell
Grafter

View posts since last visit

I don't know if this is a bug but when I login I only get opportunity to see unread posts or new replies to my posts and not "View posts since last visit" like you could in the old forum.
I think this is essential as it is very difficult to view all new posts without this facility.
James
Grafter

Re: View posts since last visit

Nick,
Are you saying you don't have a "Show unread posts since last visit" link in the top left? It's just below "Community" on my browser.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Hi James,
It may be a question of semantics.  In the old forum we had "View posts since last visit", "View your posts" and "View unanswered posts"
Here we have "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts".
Not sure what these descriptions mean.  Does "unread" mean you have you have not opened up the post or does it mean a new posting since last visit?
Does "Show new replies to your posts" mean the same as "View posts since last visit" in the old forum or will this only show your post's replies?
Edit: By the way "Show new replies to your posts" does not seem to work...it shows up as none after I posted this reply.
James
Grafter

Unread posts are merely all new posts since your last visit.  It's the only option for me - I use it all the time.  Saves me looking through numerous forums.
James
Grafter

I believe show new replies to your posts will show you any replies to a thread where you have posted.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: James
I believe show new replies to your posts will show you any replies to a thread where you have posted.

That's what they appear to do for me anyway Wink Useful when trying to keep track of specific threads.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: No unread posts and no unread topics

Rather than start a new thread - going to "Show unread posts since last visit" is working but when the answer is "No unread topics found since your last visit" the option is "Click here to try all unread topics." this just takes me to this screen
James
Grafter

Re: No unread posts and no unread topics

Is that a bad thing?  Isn't that just saying that you've read everything? Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Re: Merged: Threads RE: Unread posts links not working as expected

But I haven't - and when I look at the icons down the side it shows many unread posts
Oldjim
Resting Legend

To show the problem.
First I closed the browser and opened it again with the forum on which got rid of most of the new posts since your last visit - I then read the post which meant there were no unread posts since my last visit - see top view in picture
I clicked on "click here to try all unread topics" which produced the second view
The third view is going back to the main screen where there are clearly new posts pre-dating when I started the exercise and just to make the point I have never looked at Home Phone Help
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Maybe I'm being a bit thick but I don't understand the difference between -
"Show unread posts since last visit" (top of forum)
and "All unread posts" (at bottom right of forum. Why here and not at top with other 2?)
If I stay logged in, does "Show unread posts since last visit" just get longer and longer?
Also how can I see all my own posts?
The old forum had these simple options at the top -
View posts since last visit
View your posts
View unanswered posts
These descriptions seem very self-explanatory to me unlike the new ones.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To view your own posts, or anyone else's, click a username anywhere it appears (or for your own you can click Profile in the top banner).
Then click Show the last posts of this person.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Nick
Maybe I'm being a bit thick but I don't understand the difference between -
"Show unread posts since last visit" (top of forum)
and "All unread posts" (at bottom right of forum. Why here and not at top with other 2?)
If I stay logged in, does "Show unread posts since last visit" just get longer and longer?

A tremendous advantage of these forums over the old forums is that they permanently remember the posts you have read. All unread posts should show you unread posts from previous days.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)