Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mega drop in speed

Bmw06123
Dabbler

Mega drop in speed

Ok so i  order plus net after being with o2
o2 no problems at at nice speed all the time
Ive been with plus net a couple of days at first it was keeping up to o2's speeds and now all of a sudden tonight the speed drops to 400kbps been like this now for hours.
What could be the problem here everything was working fine before nothing has changed but by speed
I try to play my online game and its just lagging so much i cant even play it...
Is there a way plus net could change some settings their end o2 changed my settings so im sure plus net can too?
28 REPLIES 28
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Mega drop in speed

HI and welcome to plusnet,please can you post your router stats here on the forum so we can try identify the problem,line attentuation,snr,etc. also what type of router are you using? how longs your up time?you got filters properly installed?worth pointing out that within your ten day trial period your speeds can fluctuate.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Bmw06123
Dabbler

i dont know how to get them results sorry please tell me and i will post them
Filters are correctly plugged into master socket
i didnt have any problems with o2 in the first 10 days may i justy point out
and i use NETGEAR DG834G/DG834GB
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have a look here on how to get your router stats: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
That info will be a great help.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Go to here http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=start.htm then click on Show Statistics at the bottom and you should get this
Bmw06123
Dabbler

ok here goes i hope i did it right
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is the reason - a synch speed of 1024kbps and an attenuation of 61dB.
When you were with O2 did you ever do any speed tests
Can you run this check and see what it says about distance to the exchange - you need to put in your post code to get the distance http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
Bmw06123
Dabbler

no i never ran speed tesst with o2 but i know how far i am from the exchange i only receive 2mb but its never ever been as poor at this
Bmw06123
Dabbler

2.2 km sorry forgot to add that bit lol
Oldjim
Resting Legend

When you were with O2 was it an LLU - if you don't know the link I gave earlier will tell you if O2 LLU is available at your exchange
Also are you saying that with O2 you had 2000kbps because if that is the case something has gone badly wrong. Also with that attenuation the line length to the exchange should be well over 6km
Bmw06123
Dabbler

yees i think o2 was llu is there anyway i can change these settings?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There is nothing wrong with the settings but in the change from LLU to IPstream there would have been some re-jumpering done at the exchange.
This is why I asked if you had 2000kbps speeds.
If the speeds were 2000kbps on O2 and are now half that something has changed either at the exchange or in the wiring to the exchange or in your property.
To ensure that your wiring isn't the problem can you connect the router to the test socket without anything else connected and report the stats from the router.
One thing you need to be aware of is that LLU suppliers don't use the IPprofile system so the speed you see is what you get. With the IPprofile system the speeds are restricted to a bit less than the sync speed. You can read about it here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm
Bmw06123
Dabbler

obviously there is nothig wrong with the cabeling
plus net was gettingt teh same speed as o2 for the first couple of days of having it now its dropped by half
So something is wrong my router is brand new so i cant se it being that im just confused and going to go back with o2 if this keeps up
Bmw06123
Dabbler

lots and lots of people seem to be having the same problems as me i think its just the plus net service....
Oldjim
Resting Legend

With a 61dB attenuation you should be getting a speed of about 2000kbps with a 6dB noise margin and a noise free line.
You are now getting half that so something has changed to cause it.
If you want to find out what it is you will need to carry out basic diagnostics.
Plug the router into the test socket behind the master socket with nothing else connected
Try another filter and another connector from the test socket to the router
If possible try another router
EDIT - Plusnet have no control over the synch speed between you and the exchange which is where your problem lies