cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee DIDN'T protect me

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: McAfee DIDN'T protect me

I'd have to concur with ReedRichards and HPSauce.  I've had a lot of calls recently to victims of the posted SQL vulnerability and I can pretty much guarantee than none of them would have visited any of the seedier parts of the internet.
So, rather than focussing on "don't visit those parts of the internet", focus on assisting the actual issue at hand?
B.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Whilst I agree we can all get infected by doing very ordinary things.  However the OP said:
Quote from: vikingman
I downloaded McAfee and within the first 2 months of using it I have been infected with numerous trojan viruses, worms and all sorts of internet rubbish which unfortunately has cost me a lot of money in getting my computer repaired and cleaned.

Whilst not impossible that this happened numerously by ordinary things, my experience suggests that achieve numerous infections requires someone to delving deep into the underbelly of the internet.
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

"my experience"
What experience would that be? Cheesy
It is plausible that your first "infection" turns off all your PC's protection leaving you open to all sorts.
My experience is usually that someone downloads a small "useful program" exe and runs it. Then it's all downhill from there.

JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
vikingman

Thanks Steve M & fourfourdevon for gullibly presuming that I visit 'dodgy' sites.  That is a typical synical narrow minded perspective.  I was in fact listening to one of the latest Adele tracks on Utube with my daughter when my laptop got infected !
Thanks everyone for your comments, these may indeed prove useful in the coming times in 'the fight against viruses'
fourfourdevon
Grafter

How on earth can you know the moment of infection?
Either your antivirus detected it and stopped it at the moment of infection, and thus you never became infected, or the antivirus didn't work and you found out about the infection later.
PamWest
Grafter

I wish people wouldn't put down Windows Repair utility, I had cause to use it recently when Acronis 2011 update had caused my Win7-64 to crash with BSoD, my only option was to recover to previous state of recent installation of program, and it did the trick.
Paulg78
Grafter

The only thing I can think that would cause that many viruses or trojans to be downloaded onto a computer is using sites such as limewire, edonkey or torrent sites , If you are using sites such as this then your opening a big can of worms for yourself
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

@paulg78
I think you have hit the nail on the head.
A friend of mine was constantly using limewire and left it open all the time. I had warned him that he could end up being infected, and sure enough he did.
It took me a long time to get his machine rebuilt.. in fact we had to admit defeat after 24hours of work and had to completely wipe, re-partition and reinstall his entire windows setup.