cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee DIDN'T protect me

vikingman

McAfee DIDN'T protect me

I have used Norton internet security for 8 years without any problems and when I joined plusnet I was offered McAfee absolutely free.  I thought this was great so when my Norton security expired I downloaded McAfee and within the first 2 months of using it I have been infected with numerous trojan viruses, worms and all sorts of internet rubbish which unfortunately has cost me a lot of money in getting my computer repaired and cleaned.  Since then I have re-installed Norton with no problems since.  Thanks Norton ... McAfee you're rubbish !!!  
Just a thought I wonder if plusnet will refund what I have paid to clear these problems which wouldn't have arisen had I not installed their useless internet security.
38 REPLIES 38
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: McAfee DIDN'T protect me

Quote from: vikingman
Just a thought I wonder if plusnet will refund what I have paid to clear these problems which wouldn't have arisen had I not installed their useless internet security.
I doubt that very much, You must be visiting awful sites.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Epyon
Grafter

This
also you will need to have proof of repairs and statments from who repaired it to say it was virus related
plus i'm not sure what the T&Cs are on using it
if they are even liable.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Two years back now I moved to Linux, but before that I've used Windows from its very earliest days.
In that entire time of many years of using Windows, I only once for certain got a virus, and suspected I had a virus on perhaps half a dozen other occasions.
I think your own behaviour (or that of other users of the computer) are by far a bigger factor here than the anti-virus software you use.
Mav
Fixes: 514

I stopped using McAfee many moons ago.
A lot of the free AVs (Avast, AVG, etc) perform just as good if not better than many of the paid for ones.
I use AVG, Malwarebytes, AdAware, Defender and Spybot S& D.
I have never had a virus, trojan, etc. infect any of my PC as they have always been found and deleted first.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Vikingman IF your visiting dodgy sites run your browser In a sand boxed environment.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Steve
... run your browser In a sand boxed environment.

Steve M is using jargon.  In Windows terms the best thing to do in order to follow his advice would be to create a new user account, make it a Limited rather than an Administrator account, and use that specifically for web browsing.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

do you know any thing about computers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_%28computer_security%29
fourfourdevon
Grafter

A limited windows account offers some protection, but not as much as a proper sandbox.
I'm not sure what level of sandboxing technology Windows supports these days, but if you really need to surf dodgy websites best to do it inside a Virtual PC or VirtualBox installation of Windows.  Take a snapshot before browsing, when finished, roll back to the snapshot, that way your virtual machine (aka Sandbox) will remain clean itself.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@vikingman
Unfortunately no anti-virus software can be 100% effective, they are all 'best effort' services and try to stay on top of any new threats detected in the wild.
As others on here have alluded to, even with anti-virus software installed you need to take caution on the Internet as there are more than just virii out there (malware etc).
Snippet from the end user license agreement you are presented with before downloading the software:
[quote=EULA]MCAFEE MAKES NO WARRANTY THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL PROTECT AGAINST ALL POSSIBLE THREATS OR BE ERROR-FREE OR FREE FROM INTERRUPTIONS OR OTHER FAILURES OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Actually I was thinking more along these lines, Easy enough right?
Sandboxie
fourfourdevon
Grafter

It was quite a while back now, but I tried Sandboxie and couldn't get along with it, as it required special settings, I would expect its developed a lot since then and hopefully the need for special settings has receded.
JamesM
Grafter

Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

macafee is POOOP , i use a free and Good one  "Comodo" firewall,anti virus
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Any anti-virus  Is poop and useless without some common sense, BUT I think this macafee's of plusnet Is basic right? Doesn't help you against say suspect I-frames for example?