cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May Be Coming Back to Plusnet: Has the Support Improved?

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

May Be Coming Back to Plusnet: Has the Support Improved?

We may be coming back to Plusnet for the new unlimited service. When I was last with you a few months ago, the support wasn't really bad, but not fantastic either. Has it improved since then? If it has then I will go with you instead of Talk Talk.
Thank you.
26 REPLIES 26
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: May Be Coming Back to Plusnet: Has the Support Improved?

The support is pretty similar, we've added staff to the support centre.
Not sure what aspect of the support you didn't like last time as from memory we gave a lot of help and many many many SNR resets?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

It just seemed to us that there were some things you said you couldn't do but can be done, i.e. you said you can't fix the target SNRM yet my current ISP (Zen) have done so.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

They did say that to me they can't fixed SNRM because of local exchange 21CN is DLM controlled and it out of Plusnet controlled, only BT. But, thanks to the fault team had spoken to BT via echat and agreed to set SNRM fixed with DLM at 3dB. So, it pretty good helpful from plusnet fault team who had to deal with BT and correct my line stable.
Chris
Legend

It *can* be fixed but only as a last resort at the end of a fault investigation. I wouldn't recommend doing it for someone that tweaks their SNR as much as you did though as it's really not worthwhile.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
quietlife

Plusnet Support
My personal observation on support as a long-standing and loyal customer.
Good
You can usually get through and talk to helpful, personable UK based staff.
You can usually email and get a reply within a couple of days
Staff give their names
Poor (though I have no experience to tell me if other isp's are better)
Sometimes the options team or the front line help people offer things that the admin and technical section can't or won't deliver.
I get the feeling that things are very process driven and what you say just goes into a pile and is dealt with when it would have been anyway however urgent or 'special' your problem is.
There are legacy products (Like my Domain) that don't seem to be supported now.
Like all companies there is no reward for loyalty and you will get a worse deal than new customers
Customer service staff can't phone you back.
The forums aren't well supported by users - maybe that's because everything works- maybe not
The company doesn't seem to have an escalation system for complaints. I want to talk to a 'top person' regarding a complaint I have but can't get past front line support.
Anyway
Plusnet support is much the same as was, and possibly better than the competition
Don't touch domains
Don't use for business critical stuff
Don't try and do anything tricksy
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Have been with PN 10+ years and I have always found PN support to be fairly good to excellent* which, if you read around, is quite different to the widespread experience of Talk Talk users.  PN support is provided from the UK by native English speakers on free (or at worse 01 geographic) phone numbers.  Add to that the stunning support offered by other PN users through the user forum, then you have (I suggest) an unbeatable support offering.
Quote from: quietlife
Customer service staff can't phone you back.
The forums aren't well supported by users - maybe that's because everything works- maybe not

This is not my experience, I regularly get PN support personnel calling me to follow-up problems and there are numerous individuals around here who offer loads of experienced advice at silly times of the day and night.  I would not want to embarras any particular one by naming names, but at present I'm being blessed with help from one forum member at 02:30 in the morning whilst I'm sound asleep... he does not get paid for this and his advice is invaluable!!
*Yes from time to time, you can get a really complex issue which challenge the less experienced service agents who are guided by support 'scripts' however there is good back-up to them provided by the many names we all "know and love" here on the forums who put the gold plating on the PN offering.
All other things being reasonably equal - cost product offering - given the choice between PN and Talk Talk, I suggest its a no brainer!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Fixing the SNR has to be the absolute last resort. Line conditions do change over time (in a normal year connections are better in the summer than in the winter). The DLM is designed to adapt to the changing conditions and give a stable line at a reasonable speed. The user then should accept that there may be a moderate variation in his sync speed.
If large variations are seen it is more indicative of the line problem and rather than putting a sticking plaster over the issue by fixing the SNR the underlying problem should be fixed. The other possibility of course is the user who confuses the hell out of the DLM with continual reboots, resets, tweaking the SNR in their router - it's not designed for that, it's designed to give a good compromise with minimal intervention for people who don't want or need to understand the intricacies. If you want a wire that will run at it's full rated speed 24x7 (with no contention) you should be looking at a leased line.
Quote from: Alec
It just seemed to us that there were some things you said you couldn't do but can be done, i.e. you said you can't fix the target SNRM yet my current ISP (Zen) have done so.

My reading of that is totally different to yours. If you were as much of a pain to them as you were to Plusnet it demonstrates that there support is worse than Plusnet's - they just did it to shut you up. Plusnet bent over backwards to try and help you and I remember at the time wondering why they didn't tell you enough was enough!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
My reading of that is totally different to yours. If you were as much of a pain to them as you were to Plusnet it demonstrates that there support is worse than Plusnet's - they just did it to shut you up. Plusnet bent over backwards to try and help you and I remember at the time wondering why they didn't tell you enough was enough!

Go away jelv. I don't care to listen to your useless opinions here. Many people think that you are really rude and annoying. Stop poking your face into matters that don't concern you, unless you have something useful to say, which you don't.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

How much would it cost to move from TalkTalk to Plusnet?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

should be free with MAC Code
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd stick with TalkTalk Alex R, then when you get a problem you'll discover what decent customer support is all about.  Other than that - when you go round distorting the facts - what you said in previous posts about what you were actually told at the time about fixing the SNRM - I tend to agree with jelv.. Yes I can be rude too  Roll_eyes
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
...when you go round distorting the facts - what you said in previous posts about what you were actually told at the time about fixing the SNRM - I tend to agree with jelv.. Yes I can be rude too  Roll_eyes

It's Alec, not Alex.
I was told Plusnet would not be able to fix the SNRM. How is that distorting facts?
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yes it can be fixed SNRM by the fault team. You have to speak to the fault team via BT echat.
Chris
Legend

Re: May Be Coming Back to Plusnet: Has the Support Improved? [Closed]

To clarify.. *we* have to speak to the faults team at the end of a faults investigation, the end user (you) can't do this.