Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum speed 1Mbs

MsJSPython
Hooked

Maximum speed 1Mbs

Hey all!  Smiley
I hope your new years are off to splendid starts.
Sorry one of my first posts will be a negative one, well not negative exactly, I'll call it a learning experience.
Some history:
I took the plunge and joined up to the Plusnet family early December. They gave me an estimated speed of 8.5Mbps to 19Mbps which I expected as speeds under the previous provider was around the 8 mark (maximum speed of that tier). Everything was great - at first - speeds were between 8Mbps and 11Mbps and there were no issues whatsoever. Eventually, Plusnet sent an email saying that it had been fourteen days since activation and that my current line speed was 13.2Mbps. I was a happy bunny.
Now, I'm not a conspiracy theorist but literally THE DAY AFTER this email things went horribly horribly wrong. Drop outs came thick and fast making browsing impossible, the speed dropped rapidly until by the day after it was performing at literal Dialup speeds of 0.5Mbps to, if I was lucky, just over 1Mbps. From 13 to 0.5 almost overnight and it has never returned to normal speed. Ethernet making no real difference. Today marks day 16, meaning that the internet has been dropping out/running at Dialup speeds for longer than it did at normal speed...
Max achievable speed went from 19Mbps to 1Mbps with no obvious cause. Bt test below
1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
Download  Speed
0.94 Mbps

0 Mbps 1 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.94 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.4 Mbps-1 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 1.01 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.37 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Through phone calls and tickets an engineer came and said the problem was outside and that it was the line which has now been replaced. Internet still doesn't work. It has been 32 hours since the engineer fixed the line. Plusnet could find no issue with its tests. One of the team mentioned the line had been "restricted" but could not tell me why...
The computers connect fine to my mobile making a hotspot with the speed being 11Mbps.
After 50+ hour weeks the last thing I wanted to do was mess around with the internet but I still went through all the motions, followed all the advice, rebooting router, test socket, Plusnet restarted the line, waiting for engineer to "fix" the line making me late. Still nothing  Cry
I am completely worn out and can't really be bothered with it anymore.
TLDR: For the fourteen days after activation speeds were normal 8 - 13Mbps. Starting from day 15 until now (16 days total) speeds have been 0.5Mbps-1Mbps.
1 REPLY 1
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Maximum speed 1Mbs

Hi MsJSPython,
A warm welcome to the foums.
This does not sound good, but there a number of possible issues here.  Taking a look at the speed issues thread and posting all of the requested information would enable community members to advise you on how to progress this.
Were the speed tests performed over wifi?
Is the phone line quiet?  Dial (I assume you have a dial tone) 17070 option 2 - the line should be very quiet.
When you do the 17070 test, please ensure that the service identification is indeed your phone number.  There is a possibility that the engineer cross connected your line somewhere else, with the consequence that PlusNet's line test can see no fault on YOUR line.
Does your phone ring when dialled?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.