cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max Premium

SiNNER
Grafter

Max Premium

I was wondering is it possible to give Max Premium a try seeing as i had to upload a 3.7GB database to a server for a website
and it took a staggering 8hrs 32mins to upload over night with roughly 123kbp/s speed and i have more databases to upload
and its just a pain in the ass to have the computer running for that long during the night.
It's not FTTC is going to be installed in my block of flats anytime soon yet we have 4 of them green cabinets in the area, you
would expect BT/Plusnet to sort out the area nearest to the exchange which is only a 5mintue walk from where i am.
EDIT: If a staff memeber could do the annex m thing to test it that would be great if you can scroll down and read.
17 REPLIES 17
shure
Grafter

Re: Max Premium

I'm confused.  I thought ADSL Max was 20CN only, but judging by your download speed you are 21CN?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As Shure states MAX premium is for ADSL1 only and would give lower upload speed than you are currently seeing.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Max Premium is 20CN only and increases the sync up to 832kbps. You are on 21CN and your upload is already faster than that.
Annex M might be an option for you which takes away some download speed to improve upload but even if you got the maximum benefit from Annex M it would still take around 4 hours for a 3.7GB file.
However your figures don't make sense as you are saying that the speed achieved when uploading the database is way below the speed test result. I suspect you should have said it was 123 kBps which is 984kbps (i.e. the same as your speed test).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SiNNER
Grafter

I'm tired sorry about that but yes it was 123kbps and it took a long ass time to upload which is not good,as for annex m i would not mind trying it as 4hours is better than 8hours+ hell i could have uploaded 2of them in 8hours+ if i knew about annex m.
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you actually know the difference between kbps and kBps? At 123kbps a 3.7GB file would take over 60 hours!
SiNNER
Grafter

you know i stated how long it took in my post right Huh
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It appears you don't know the difference.
b = bits, B = bytes where 1B = 8b. Sync speeds and speed test results are nearly always given in bits (b). Transfer software nearly always reports speed in bytes (B).
You must be syncing right at the top of ADSL2+ to give a speedtest.net speed of 0.99Mbps. Multiply by 1000 and divide by 8 gives you 123.75 kBps.
Annex M is available as a standard option on Plusnet's business products and gives upload of up to 2.5Mbps. It's an extra £10 per month.
Joshc
Grafter

Hey guys, Morning.
Just to let you know Annex M is only available for business broadband Customers.
Smiley
SiNNER
Grafter

Ok what about Max Premium then ? would it be possible to give that a try seeing as i said 8hours+ is a long time to uploading 3.7GB
jim:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest reading the earlier replies
Max Premium isn't available on 21CN
The calculated upload speed based on 3.7GB in 8 hours is 1028kbps which matches your stats
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Do you really want to downgrade to Max Premium?
Your downstream sync will drop from around 21mbps (which is where I estimate it will be at present) to 8mbps.
Your upstream sync will drop from where it is at present (around 1100kbps) to 832kbps.
Of course uploading 3.7GB will take a long time - it's a huge file.
Your ONLY option is to change to a business account and then go for annex M. See https://www.plus.net/business/
SiNNER
Grafter

I think i will look into that bussiness part then , ok
AndyH
Grafter

Cheaper to get two lines I think.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I did wonder about suggesting that, but if the issue is uploading a single file that may not help - he'd probably have to make it in to a multi-part zip to reap the full benefit. Judging by the level of knowledge demonstrated by SiNNER I wasn't going to get in to discussing bonding.
@SiNNER
Do you zip (or tar) the file before you upload and then unpack the file using remote access on the target machine? If you don't that would be worth trying.