cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master sockets and fibre

highlander317
Dabbler

Master sockets and fibre

My expected install day is next Wednesday,  from looking outside and at internal wiring , I have got 2 lines into the building. Are the engineers able to relocate master sockets?  I'm in a ground floor flat 2 sockets in main bedroom on one line and 4 sockets fed from another line. What would my options be?
14 REPLIES 14
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Master sockets and fibre

I'm assuming that neither line is currently active from the way you've phrased that. Have either got dial tone on?
Dial 17070 to find the number if they have dial tone. Does either number mean anything to you or been allocated to your new connection?
highlander317
Dabbler

No tone on either
AndyH
Grafter

Is this a simultaneous provide (phone + fibre) on the same day?
Where do you want the master socket/fibre socket?
Anotherone
Champion

Do you know how the lines come into the property, the're BT ones are they, not cable?
highlander317
Dabbler

Yes a simultaneous install and preferably in the living room. The line that feeds the 2 boxes in the bedroom is closest.
I'm not in a cable area
Anotherone
Champion

I suspect this will depend on whether the engineer contacts you or comes to the property before connecting either line depending on where they are currently disconnected.
I'm assuming that both lines are connected to the nearest pole (possibly with some connection box outside) or are fed from underground with a connector box outside.
If that's the case then it should be readily possible to connect to whichever you prefer BUT they could ignore all the existing internal wiring and put a new NTE5 master socket exactly where you want it - you are entitled to that and what they call a DATA Extension Socket - which is a socket for the Modem at some convenient point away from the master.
(The only disadvantage is you have loads of extra internal wiring, but nothing to stop you pulling out the unused and not required stuff except perhaps a master socket, afterwards.)
The most critical thing is that there is a power point close to where the Modem will go and this should not be something that could be accidentally switched off as it ought to be on 24/7.
highlander317
Dabbler

I cab clearly trace line from pole across the road directly feeds the 2 bedroom sockets, the entry point I would like it is less than 1 metre away and then right next to plug sockets. Not overly concerned about losing extensions of bt sockets only have one phone
Anotherone
Champion

So not joint boxes under the eaves or anywhere else just after where the cable gets to the building? Where is the other line with 4 sockets fed from then? Is it fed from the other pair in the same cable?
It sounds that if you really need to move the incoming cable it ought to be reasonably straight forward for them to drill another hole, but only you can tell that. But if it's only 1 metre away at the moment is the Modem at some point between the current Master and the power socket a reasonable option, or have I got the picture wrong?
highlander317
Dabbler

No external boxes, 1 lines feeds porch which feeds 4 extensions and 2nd line does bedroom
Anotherone
Champion

So a connection box in the porch? Well that might be the one to re-route, but you will be a better judge.
highlander317
Dabbler

Looks like a master socket compared to junction box, line to bedroom much closer to where needed
Anotherone
Champion

Is it a secure porch? Not sure I'd want a Master socket there, it could be a bit damp as well not so good. They can always fit a proper connection box somewhere, where the joints are "jelly" crimped to seal them from the elements.
highlander317
Dabbler

That's another reason for me using the bedroom feed line, the porch has an ordinary bt socket, it's a shared porch for flat upstairs and my flat lol don't want my line being at risk from abuse from anyone.
Anotherone
Champion

My thoughts entirely Wink Well if you can see the best way to re-route the cable and make it easy for the engineer, decide on the best way to do it and where you want the hole drilling. Having tea/coffee/biscuit/cake etc handy  can sometimes help Smiley
The engineer may decide to cut the existing cable and join it to a new piece to your new socket if it's easier, but it would be better if just moving the existing was possible.