cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master socket extension / move for the fibre

Seb13

Master socket extension / move for the fibre

Hi there,
I have an Openreach engineer coming next week to install my Plusnet fibreoptic.
My master socket is in a hall - next to the entrance door and I have a standard phone line extension to the lounge, which is where I want my modem / router to be.
So far I've found that firbre cannot be installed on the extension and that the engineer can install the extension, but what I'm worrying about is the wires going along the wall etc.
I have a Cat6a network installed in the whole property and it was done before all the plaster boards were put (it's a new build). I'm wondering how does the engineer install the extension?
The master socket is located on the right side of the entrance door, while the lounge is on the left - so I'm not sure how the cable would go to get form the master to the lounge.
Is it possible to put the cable under the laminate flooring and then behind the skirting board - and would the engineer be happy to do it this way if I asked him?
I just really don't want to see any cables around.
4 REPLIES 4
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Master socket extension / move for the fibre

you don't want to run a cable under the laminate, it's liable to get crushed.
the OR engineer will not run cables under floors etc.
they can run an extension cable from the modem at the master socket to where you want the router situated.around skirting though.
depending on how your phone extension is wired, it may be possible for the OR engineer to turn that socket into the master using the existing cabling.
Seb13

Thanks chenks76.
The problem is that in that case cable would first have to run around the entrance door frame then onto the skirting board, through the wall onto the skirting board and then to the designated location (please see the attached images).
I presume the skirting board could be removed and rather than on top, cable could run behind it? This still leaves me with the door problem - not sure how to approach this.
What if I used a small diameter metal tube to fetch the cable through under the laminate?
Also - what sort of cable is used for the extension - is that fibre optic, Cat5 / 6 or any other?

LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Seb13,
The best option that I can suggest for you is to either get some home plugs or some cable clips to clip the cabling on top of your skirting board. If you want to feed the cable behind the skirting board you would have to remove this yourself and then fit it back again as this is not something the engineer would do.
Seb13

Quote from: Linn
Hi Seb13,
The best option that I can suggest for you is to either get some home plugs or some cable clips to clip the cabling on top of your skirting board. If you want to feed the cable behind the skirting board you would have to remove this yourself and then fit it back again as this is not something the engineer would do.

Sure - that was my plan - I just wanted to know whether they won't object. I can take the skirting boards off before they come over - same about the laminate as it's just one or two planks right at the door.
I would prepare everything - I just would need the engineer to connect the extension from one socket to the other room and I could feed the cable the way I want it to be.