cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive speed drops

StuntedGrowth

Massive speed drops

Hi i have been experiencing massive speed problems for the last 4 - 6 weeks.  ive had nice stable internet for the last 6 years with a healthy 2.5 to 3mb download. and now i can barely get over dialup speeds.  I have contacted plusnet and used your broadband help service, you sent an engineer out who could not find a problem with my line ( at the time my connection was working ) you have tried turning interleaving on and reseting my SNR.
I dont know what else to do really ive swapped routers tested the master socket, unplugged everything that connects to the line and im still getting these random speed drops.
] this is on a good day!!! normally 12k
what do i do now? i could change my provider but theres no guarantee that the problem wont just migrate over? there must be a problem somewhere.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2567 kbps 445 kbps
Line Attenuation 50 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 8 db 20 db
9 REPLIES 9
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Massive speed drops

Hi StuntedGrowth,
I've just been looking through your fault history. Since the engineer visit, have you moved your router away from the test socket?
Jojo Smiley
StuntedGrowth

Hi, Jo
I havent moved the router no but i have had to reset it a few times.  Since the cap on my line has been removed it seems to have got worse again?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StuntedGrowth,
It seems you're switching your router off overnight (see graph below), this won't help. Also, resetting will have caused a lower profile. If you leave your router on 24/7 and don't reset it, it will become stable again.
Jojo Smiley
StuntedGrowth

Hi Jo,
My router does not get switched off overnight, i leave it on all the time.  The only time it gets switched off is when i reset it, which i need to do to try and resolve my connection issue so i can do my job.
Regards
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: StuntedGrowth
My router does not get switched off overnight, i leave it on all the time.

Well, it looks like something is switching it off. The power supply for your router is not fed from your computer is it?
Jojo Smiley
StuntedGrowth

no the router is not connected to my pc, i use wireless to connect all my devices.  Could the drop in connection be the issue i am having but your seeing it as a router turn off?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StuntedGrowth,
The power supply to your router, where is it plugged in?
Jojo Smiley
StuntedGrowth

Straight into the plug socket in the wall. I've checked my router log and it was on all night as was my PC.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi StuntedGrowth,
Seems to have stayed connected. Looking at the graphs, I can see that some of the disconnections seem to be happening the same time of day; notably 7-8am and 3pm. I'm not sure if that's just a coincidence though.
looks like your sync speed is low due to a high SNR. Is your router into the test socket?
Jojo Smiley