cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive reduction in download speed, from >7Mbps to <400Kbps

lexhamilton
Grafter

Massive reduction in download speed, from >7Mbps to <400Kbps

As the title suggests, I've suffered a huge decrease in downstream speeds since Friday.
Normally in excess of 6.5Mbps to 7Mbps, but now down to a barely usable ~300Kbps.
Have run many BT Speedtester tests and logged a ticket with Plusnet to try and get this resolved.
My profile is set to 7150Kbps according to the BT tool, and this is what Plusnet have as well.
Any thoughts?
28 REPLIES 28
lexhamilton
Grafter

Re: Massive reduction in download speed, from >7Mbps to <400Kbps

kinginter
Grafter

Same here..
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Have you gone over your usage limit and had your rate capped?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
lexhamilton
Grafter

And some more - having to upload a few at a time due to the forum uploader having a fit if I try to upload more than 3 or 4 pictures...
lexhamilton
Grafter

@adiewoo - nope, not even close.  I'm on the 80GB monthly allowance (Plusnet Premium) and I've used about 12GB so far this billing cycle.
I've been with Plusnet since February 2010 after I changed from BT Business Broadband through work, and this is the first issue I've had with them or their service.
Normally it runs like a utility should - speeds are fine, service is as expected.
I'd love to know what is happening, as I'll have to arrange to travel to work till this is resolved as at these speeds, it's useless for home working.
Posting to the forum demands some patience, but at least it's not video conferencing and VOIP for work...
lexhamilton
Grafter

Quote from: kinginter
Same here..

That's interesting - are you also on the Billinghsurst exchange?
kinginter
Grafter

Skegness is my telephone exchange - My connection is usually flawless - Brilliant in fact.. Something went wrong on Thursday night I think... For me anyway
adie:quote
lexhamilton
Grafter

Interesting - Thursday night may well have been the time things slowed down, but I really noticed and tested on Friday through to today.
Still awful speeds, and it's such a letdown as my connection is normally perfect, with a very stable high speed connection.
It's odd that all the profiles and data seems to suggest there is not a problem, but a twenty-fold reduction in speed is not funny.
kinginter
Grafter

I got the same thing going on.. Hopefully it will get sorted when they expand.
dick:quote
lexhamilton
Grafter

I wonder if there is anyone from Plusnet that could help shed some light on this - have they seen any activity that could possibly give rise to this situation?
I've left the router on since Saturday a.m. and speeds haven't increased.
Normally I'd turn it off overnight and have been doing that with BT Business Broadband (for at least 4 years) and Plusnet (since April).  I'd never noticed anything like this slowdown and am very disappointed that I've been unable to use it for home working.
I'd not realized how essential a fast connection actually is - barely able to log in to my company VPN this am, so resorted to driving into the office. 
No updates from Plusnet at all, despite having a ticked logged since Saturday - a projected time-scale for resolution at least allows me to plan would be really helpful.

grahamt
Rising Star

The BT speedtester has been showing lots of strange results recently. It sounds like you do think the real speed is awful, but could you both post the results of the speedtest that you get via the Plusnet control panel? It may show a different picture.
Graham
lexhamilton
Grafter

Sure - what is this other speed tester you are referring to?
Did you mean this one: http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/
or is there another that I'm not aware of?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lexhamilton,
if you just google speed test you'll find loads of them.
I've just ran a line test and everything seems fine 8128 sync and 7150 profile. The only thing I would say is that the VP at your exchange is amber which means that you can see reduced speeds but there have been no reported outages that would affect you either, so if you're still suffering now all I could say is wait and see what the faults team make of it.
Jojo Smiley
lexhamilton
Grafter

They all say the same thing - speeds around 300Kbps so it's consistently bad.
I'm expecting a call tomorrow lunch from the faults team, so fingers crossed that they can get to the bottom of this.
I did notice that the VP is showing amber, but apart from that, I cannot fathom why it's so bad all of a sudden.
WIll update when I have more detail.
Thanks for the input.