cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive drop in speed with inceased latency.

DunMcH22
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Massive drop in speed with inceased latency.

Hi,

I don't seem to be having much luck with my internet connection lately. Last month it was the constant dropped connection and now for the last few days I've been having a massive drop in speed in the evenings. I normally achieve a speed of 12-15Mbs with a ping of about 30-50ms all the time. But for two of the last three days I haven't been able to stream any films in the evening, because my speed has dropped to 1-3Mbs, with a ping of 150-300+ms. This is both wired and wirelessly. Any ideas? There doesn't seem to be any problems with the line or connection using the BT Wholesale speed test diagnostic tool.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Massive drop in speed with inceased latency.

Hi there,

I've just been looking into this but diagnostics aren't pointing toward any problems.

I'd make sure you've covered the checks here next https://goo.gl/tu2WWu if the problem persists you can always report a fault over at http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks for replying. I've done all the usual checks to try and resolve the problem. I will keep on monitoring for the next few days and if the problem re-occurs,  I will raise a fault.

Thanks

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, do drop us a reply back here if you log a fault and we'll follow things straight up with you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi,

Just to let you know that it happened again this evening. I've logged a fault and will wait and see if any solution can be found.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for raising the fault

I think I've fixed this for you by resetting your line

Can you let us know how your speed looks over the next 24 hours?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DunMcH22
Grafter

Thanks for the prompt action. I will continue to monitor the speed for the next couple of days (especially in the evening). I believe that when I was having connection problems last month, the SNR of my line was also reset, but within a week the SNR had dropped back again to 3db.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, keep us posted!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi,

Unfortunately my speed has dropped again this evening  to around 3.5Mbs with a ping of 150ms. So it appears that the line reset has made no difference.

Thanks.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Our tests aren't showing any further issues. Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

EDIT:

@DunMcH22 Scrap that, I see you've tried both. Is it possible to try a different router?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi,

I tried another router on Friday, before I first reported the fault. It made no difference to my speed. In fact my speed was even lower since it was an older router. I'm wondering if there is some problem with my line to the exchange or is there severe congestion happening in the evening at my exchange.  I'm afraid I cannot think of anything more to do at my end to improve the situation. The strange thing is that the problems always occurs between approx 18:30 and 22:00.

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm wondering if there is some problem with my line to the exchange or is there severe congestion happening in the evening at my exchange

I've checked the latest VP report from our suppliers and the SVLAN [equipment at the exchange] is below threshold which indicates that there's no overutilisation or congestion issues.

Do you experience the slow speeds across more than one wired device?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi,

I only use my laptop with a wired connection occasionally. Everything else I always use wireless. I get a strong wireless signal throughout the house. The speed drop between wired and wireless is less than 1Mbs.

Thanks

DunMcH22
Grafter

Hi,

It appears that after a line reset again last Friday, my SNR dropped back to 3db on Tuesday and now today my current speed is around 2.9Mbs. I do hope that Plusnet will investigate my fault further, because all they seem to be doing at the moment is tinkering with the line and hoping for the best.

Thanks

Duncan

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've moved your SNR target back to 6db and made some changes to your circuit to try to keep it there.

Can you let us know how things look by tonight?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet