Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Speed Drop unable to even browse web pages

benjenova
Dabbler

Massive Speed Drop unable to even browse web pages

hi there
Been having massive speed/connectivity issues this past week. its to the point where if someone is in the next room on a wireless watching Youtube or bbc iplayer, i cant even load a webpage with on a wired connection on my Pc. the connection was fine up until around a week ago.
i cant use skype or teamspeak while playing any game due to the connection either slowing to a crawl or just dropping out completely,
this has only started recently well around the last 7-10 days i've noticed it and its becoming a real pain. it gets to the point where even just on my desktop skype will go offline and struggle to reconnect with no call in progress.  
due to my area my speeds are low anyways but it was never an issue when it was first installed i was able to game/skype/stream without a problem at all.
now the connection is slow for everyone in the house with no one being able to do anything online at the same time.
is there a issue somewhere that i haven't heard about?  

17 REPLIES 17
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: Massive Speed Drop unable to even browse web pages

just out of intrest what speeds do you normally have ?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi benjenova,
That shouldn't happen.
Would you be able to run a quick Wireshark whilst this is happening so we can take a look at the traffic?
http://community.plus.net/library/windows/how-to-use-wireshark-windows-video/
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've just had another look at this and your speeds are roughly where they should be, in fact they've increased recently.
If you're trying to game and VoIP at the same time, they are both queued under Titanium so they will effectively be both fighting for the bandwidth.
benjenova
Dabbler

yeah i can do the wireshark tomorrow when the problem normally occurs, speed have recently increased but i was able to game/skype and have an xbox and laptop running youtube with no issues until the last 7-10 days. i dont understand why its suddenly changed and now everything seem to be slowing everything else down,
like i said before it gets to the stage where opening google can take 5 mins and multiple refreshes while the xbox is playing iplayer 
benjenova
Dabbler

for some reason it wont let me add teh files as attachments so im gonna drop a download link for thim here
the first one is of both pc and xbox on iplayer no worries
the second one is pc on youtube and the xbox on world of tanks with extreme lag
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnolaq3ztbf79nm/plusnet%20test.pcapng?m=

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cjxrnpaf6d24qos/plusnet%20test%202.pcapng
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Thanks for that, Chris Pettitt will be taking a look at them for you.
benjenova
Dabbler

ok thank you very much, i hope i can get this issue sorted as its becoming a real pain in the backside
benjenova
Dabbler

any news on this?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll be continuing my investigations on this and should be able to report back tomorrow morning for you - sorry for the delay.
benjenova
Dabbler

ok not A problem, im just eager to get this issue fixed
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've taken a look at the Wireshark captures and everything looks absolutely fine.
I think the problem is, is that your throughput speeds are probably around the 1.9Mb mark, perhaps a little higher. When you're Gaming (Titanium) and using a VoIP service (Titanium) they are both fighting for the same bandwidth. As there isn't a lot of bandwidth to fight over as it is.
The game you're playing may just be using more bandwidth than other games you've used in the past and it's crept over the total amount of available bandwidth you've got available.
AndyH
Grafter

@ benjenova - Have you looked if fibre is available for you?
benjenova
Dabbler

yeah but if thats the problem why has it only started doing it recently? im playing the same games at the same times as i was before and now my net goes to pot guaranteed,
and also fibre isnt available here as im in a rural area 
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Has the game your playing updated recently and started to use more bandwidth as a result?
The line looks clear from this side but it's difficult to say with gaming as things change on a regular basis. Additionally, your connection, from the captures, looks to be fully utilised by VOiP and the Gaming side of things too.