Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Market 1,2 or 3

briston
Aspiring Pro

Market 1,2 or 3

Not sure if this is the correct forum.
The price to pay from Plusnet is determined by what Market the exchange is on. I understand that if there are more than 1 provider then it is at least Market 2. Does the presence of TalkTalk, who have LLU my excange count as a provider? BT are obviously there. If talkTalk does not 'count' what is meant by another provider?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
thomasjc1
Grafter

Re: Market 1,2 or 3

put in your phone number and postcode and it will tell you what market you have in bottom left hand corner
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

For a market 2 you need at least 2 alternate providers, and for 3 you need a large number of people (don't know exact figure but >10K) My exchange will never be m3 but is m2 which is classed as the same by PN.
However if you have just had TT or WHY added to the exchange then the ofcom market details will not have been updated. (can take a while)
The PN checker will tell you what they think your exchange is.
Bright
Grafter

Yes TalkTalk counts as another provider. But Market Classification is something determined by Ofcom and they haven't revised their classifications for a while. Probably TalkTalk arrived at your exchange after the last revision. I think it's something you're stuck with until Ofcom revises its classifications again. I assume your exchange is Market 1...?
briston
Aspiring Pro

Yes, I am classed as Market 1 but Sam Knows gives
The following services are available in your location:
BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
So there was me thinking I should be Market 2 and save a shed load of ££££. Well a few pounds anyway. How often does ofcom revise their classifications?
briston
Aspiring Pro

Bright
Grafter

Next one due in March 2014, apparently!
Lots of useful background on this TBB thread.
briston
Aspiring Pro

Looks like I will have to wish my life away and wait for 2014, by which time there will be some other reason why I cannot enjoy unlimited fast cheap broadband