cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manage my Mail and this USELESS format

Zap
Grafter

Manage my Mail and this USELESS format

I raised a topic on here some time ago about how DAFT it is that this SIMPLE MACHINES forum has been configured to used LESS THAN HALF the screen width.  NOTHING was done as usual and as it makes the site unusable I tend not to bother coming on here. (objective achieved?)
Now we are sent an email that tells us all about the hard work that Plusnet are doing to add a new anti spam solution.  It includes a link to http://community.plus.net/comms/2007/07/17/using-the-manage-my-mail-tool/
Of course this useless forum format makes this page unreadable, actually it is so stupid it is almost funny.  It says
"Once you are logged in click the link to Email Settings and you will see a screen similar to this:-"
and then display a screen shot that is 2 inches wide!
I may be getting old and soon I may need reading glasses but no amount of correction will allow me to see a screen in a 2inch wide image.
I have a 24 inch Dell LCD, most websites expand up to fit the screen and are a delight to use but not these damn forums.  What is worse is that if you take the default simple machines format e.g. http://www.simplemachines.org/community/ it sizes up perfectly to fit my screen.
So what is it?  Are Plusnet not technically capable or do they not care?
I am sure they will come up with some "technical reason" that prevents this from being corrected rather than just sorting it.
I hope I am wrong.

Note to moderators:  Please do NOT merge this with another message in an attempt to bury it as was done before.

30 REPLIES 30
James
Grafter

Re: Manage my Mail and this USELESS format

Hi Zap,
As far as I understand things, we will be fixing the width issues that you refer to.
Also, if you click on the screenshots, they do expend, which may help to an extent.
Not applicable

Erm - click the image.......
Quote from: Zap
I raised a topic on here some time ago about how DAFT it is that this SIMPLE MACHINES forum has been configured to used LESS THAN HALF the screen width.  NOTHING was done as usual and as it makes the site unusable I tend not to bother coming on here. (objective achieved?)

Sorry that you feel aggrieved that PN didn't rush out and change the size to suit you though.
There are lots of helpful bits of advice about getting your machine to do as you want about the place.
I don't blame Radio1 if the volume is too low on my stereo.....
zubel
Community Veteran

The new community layout is being developed, and you can see a work-in-progress at http://community.beta.plus.net/
And yes, you can click on the 2" wide image and it will give you an expanded view
B.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Baz do you know wen the bater Forum is coming on line?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

If you're using Firefox, you can copy a custom CSS file to your profile folder that will stretch the width of these forums to fill your screen.
Download the file here (right-click, save as)
Copy it to:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename\chrome
(That's in XP, Vista's slightly different)
Restart Firefox and that should do the trick.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Santiago
Grafter

Nice one Bob
Worked for me!
Colin
Grafter

Quote from: Midnight
Baz do you know wen the bater Forum is coming on line?

We're still working through issues with it, so we don't even know yet when the new design is coming on line.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Thanks Colin.
I am looking forward to it coming online, it looks cool.   Smiley
Captainkirk
Grafter

The new site looks very lovely on my 24" screen  Grin thank you
Tracey
petejackson
Grafter

Agree that it isn't immediately apparent that you should click on the tiny images to expand then to their full size.  As I keep pointing out to our web designers, what is obvious to you and me isn't necessarily obvious to all.
I've added some text to help clarify matters.
With regards the redesign of the Community Site stylesheets, we are aware that it's taking a bit longer than we'd hoped but our designers have it by the scruff of the neck and I'm hoping to have some news shortly regarding an expected release date.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

just had a look at the beta version and the default font size appears to have reduced - not a good idea
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
just had a look at the beta version and the default font size appears to have reduced - not a good idea

Hi Jim, we've just increased the font size by a point.  See what you think.  Any more than that and it starts to lose a lot of its good looks.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's the font size in the forums that I think is still too small. E.g. http://community.beta.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1918.0.html
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
It's the font size in the forums that I think is still too small. E.g. http://community.beta.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1918.0.html

Yes, Colin had spotted that.  The guys are looking into that.