Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Malware Warning on my Plusnet Space

Badders
Dabbler

Malware Warning on my Plusnet Space

Hi,
I am getting a Malware warning on my webspace (which I have completely emptied aside from the linked image below) as follows:

It is reported as URL:MAL and references blog.eurekajewelrydesign.com, as site I've never seen or heard of before now.
This is triggered in both AVG and Avast through Google Chrome and Firefox, but NOT IE8.
I am puzzled as it even came up when there were absolutely NO files uploaded.
Has anyone else seen this?
Thanks,
Pete.
27 REPLIES 27
danger11
Grafter

Re: Malware Warning on my Plusnet Space

Hi Pete
I think the reason is blog.eurekajewelrydesign.com may be a malicious website And is linking to your site. If you pay for your webspace @ plusnet i would contact customer support on 01142965198 Immediately.
Good luck Smiley
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Have you looked at http://www.badrick.plus.com/ - it's virtually empty.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

danger11
Grafter

Yeh i noticed that also..
However i have again tried to access it and avg popped up.

Results
Danger: AVG Active Surf-Shield has detected active threats on this page and has blocked access for your protection.
The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.
URL: blog.eurekajewelrydesign.com/main.php?h=www.badrick.plus.com&i=J8mtjdIVqP6liRj+XsRCzJEZ&e=4
Name: Rogue Scanner (type 1144)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the contents of your site are
[DIR] Parent Directory        27-Jun-2005 09:22      - 
[IMG] glitch.jpg              02-Jul-2010 22:28    25k 
[IMG] warning.jpg            02-Jul-2010 22:28    26k 
Avast didnt like it either
I have been getting a lot of spam emails recently that have modified redirects to genuine URL's just like your one, I think that they are all to do with a Facebook address list that I can trace back to an ex friend - the list is several years old and the URL's are also on French and German Facebook
VileReynard
Hero

Are you sure that it's not being marked as a "bad" web site, simply because it doesn't have an index.html file in it?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

danger11
Grafter

Quote from: A
simply because it doesn't have an index.html file in it?

No, mirror sites (CentOS,Apache etc) do not have a Index. Just because the files are not visable, does not meen they are not there.

Badders
Dabbler

Quote from: pierre_pierre
the contents of your site are
[DIR] Parent Directory        27-Jun-2005 09:22      - 
[IMG] glitch.jpg              02-Jul-2010 22:28    25k 
[IMG] warning.jpg             02-Jul-2010 22:28    26k 
Avast didnt like it either
I have been getting a lot of spam emails recently that have modified redirects to genuine URL's just like your one, I think that they are all to do with a Facebook address list that I can trace back to an ex friend - the list is several years old and the URL's are also on French and German Facebook

I do have a Facebook account, but there is no reference to my plusnet spare on there. My sign in is a gmail account. I've raised a ticket on this issue and they told me it is my local machine, which clearly isn't the case.
Pete
danger11
Grafter

They blamed it on your machine? lol they realy dont have a clue do they...... If that was the case it would be just you who had the virus popup thing.  Come on plusnet!!!! stop blaiming your customers all the time!!
zubel
Community Veteran

It seems that the various 'malware' scanners are picking up on your partial URL being passed as an argument to another URL.  IMO, this is a false positive from the malware scanners, and not an actual threat.  (the site containing malware seems to be the jewellery site you linked earlier)
B.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's nothing to do with the webspace, I've just visited it from my home machine (with avast! installed, same as OP). There were no warnings.
I also tried the link with the eurekajewelrydesign URL in there and it didn't load - that may be that it was a dodgy site (and the cause of the errors) and is now down, but I also use the mvps hosts file mod so it could be that too.
I suspect that the cause of this is either malware on the OPs PC redirecting any queries via a dodgy site, or possibly as Barry says a false positive due to the link.
Where did you end up with the blog.eurekajewelrydesign link?
Badders
Dabbler

It can't be malware on my machine, otherwise nobody else would be getting the warning. Which browser did you use to check it? IE8 doesn't trigger it, but Chrome & Firefox both do.
Also AVG reports the problem as well as Avast.
I have contacted the domain provider for eureka from the whois information, but am yet to have any reply.
I hope someone puts their hands up very soon as I have removed my Son's site from Plusnet space as lots of people were complaining about it to him. Another indication that it isn't MY machine.
Pete.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser

I don't get it with Firefox or IE8 if I go to http://www.badrick.plus.com/, but if I stick index.htm on the end I get redirected to blog.eurekajewelrydesign.com/main.php?h=www.badrick.plus.com&i=J8mtjdIVqP6liRj+XsRCzJEZ&e=4.  Do you have a dodgy .htaccess file in there that is doing the redirect?
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Kaspersky does not perceive any threat. 
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do you have a dodgy .htaccess file in there that is doing the redirect?

Bingo, just removing it from the webspace now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.