Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making mobile phone calls through my router

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Making mobile phone calls through my router

I live in an area with virtually no mobile phone signal  - unless I climb the chimney !  But increasingly, people and firms rely on mobile phone numbers rather than landlines, which can make communication difficult.  My bank, for instance, requires me to enter a number sent by SMS to connect to their on-line banking, which is very restrictive when I cannot receive sms messages !

Is there any way in which I can harness my PlusNet broadband to work with my mobile phone when I cannot get a mobile signal ?  Someone told me that Vodafone used to offer some sort of device that automatically routed mobile traffic through your broadband when out of signal range at home, but of course you have to subscribe to Vodafone which I do not - and it may not be available any more !

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem ?

13 REPLIES 13
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Re: Making mobile phone calls through my router

What you are referring to are FemtoCell systems. http://www.choose.net/media/guide/features/bad-mobile-reception-signal-booster-femtocell-fix.html

O2 (Tu Go) and Three(InTouch) also have app's which claim to allow calls and SMS via wifi on your mobile.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

shermans
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for that.  Unfortunately, I am not with either O2 or Three !

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

EE have a femtocell called Signal Box that their website says works with Orange, T-Mobile or EE.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

EE also have WiFi call, which works wit newer iPhones and I believe some other mobiles.

All of the main mobile operators have some sort of box that connects to your router and your mobile can use the router for calls and texts.

I am guessing the OP uses one of the smaller suppliers, which do not offer this facility.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

As a matter of interest (I'm on "3") if you do use an app to connect via wifi & not 3g/4g, do you still get charged for calls/SMS in normal way?Huh

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Gel Yes, you get charged as normal, more info on Three's website

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@shermans wrote:

My bank, for instance, requires me to enter a number sent by SMS to connect to their on-line banking, which is very restrictive when I cannot receive sms messages !

Can't help with the general problem of lack of mobile signal, but, regarding the online banking:

It's still the case, as far as I know, that an SMS text can be sent to a landline number. If you have a text-enabled phone, Caller Display, and have subscribed to the service, the message appears on the phone's screen. Otherwise, it will be heard as a voice message.

I don't know whether the above applies to all telecom providers.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8510/~/all-about-bt-text

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

My dentist's receptionist used to send appointment reminders to my landline, and an electronic voice would read them out.  My bank, however, refused to do this when I wanted to set up a new payment on my account.  (I'm with the bank that likes to say no.)

It was even possible to send text messages to phones from my BT e-mail account (operated by Yahoo! I think) when I first started using the internet back in the last century.  That service didn't last long.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I imagine that the computer would say no as a landline number wouldn't pass validation intended for a mobile number.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

As always - it depends who programmed the computer. Wink

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes, Browni, the computer did indeed say no, since the number didn't start with 07.  The bank couldn't see the additional security benefit of the person trying to log on being at my address as well as knowing the 16 digit card number, the password, and the on-line banking number.  They did, however, allow me to operate my account on line, but not add new payees (which can be done quite easily at a branch on the rare occasions it becomes necessary).

And 198kHz, it does depend on who programs the computer.