cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Makes my blood boil

thisoldman
Grafter

Makes my blood boil

Everytime i read in here about people moaning about their bb speed, it makes my blood boil and i rant rant rant.
Last week there were people in here moaning about plusnet  and saying they were glad to have changed to talktalk or some other wonderkid isp.
So for the last time , here is my simple and concise argument.
1.  IT matters not what speed you are getting.If you were on say 100mb you will NOT  get that speed or anything like it when d/l from rapid or mega or  any other  such sites unless you have purchased an expensive account.
2.If millions of people are using a site eg  bbciplayer then your speed will crawl irrespective of your isp spped.
3.THe vast majority of isps throttle d/l s at various times of the day from certain applications, so again your isp speed is irrelevant.

Maybe im wrong here, but i truly believe that in general terms isp quoted bb speeds are a load of bull...t and not worth the paper they are written on.
4 REPLIES 4
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Makes my blood boil

nearly but not quiet
I have a synch of 8128 as I am on Value of up to 8 M
But I only get a profile of 7150 after taking off the connection overheads
Then I only get a variable download speed of between 6200-6500  again after taking of other overheads
Next I have to take off the speed clamps on what I am doing

So yes I do get 8 m  and taking the clutch,gearbox and rear axle losses I only see 6.5
thisoldman
Grafter

So... my dear pierre, do i take it , from your almost incomprehensible post, that you have never had the joy of watching rapid d/l at 105kbs or watched in agony as the bbciplay struggles to play a video around 6pm .
I suspect that a bb d/l speed of 1 mb would adequately cater for your needs.
mrmarkus1981
Grafter

I rented a HD movie from the Playstation3 store last night.
Its 4.8 GIGABYTES in size, so if i want to watch it anytime THIS YEAR, i need a fast connection. If i didnt have one, i would moan at Plusnet as its £5 i wont get back.
Sony are hardly going to say  'oh well your ISP isnt fast enough here's your money back' Wink

EDIT : I see your point though, i suspect the people that mostly moan are people that have seen high speeds in the past so know their line is capable. But the speeds are dramatically lower than they used to be or want them to be  Cry
thisoldman
Grafter

tx you for your rsponse mrmark.

i can but repeat:  you could have a real d/ speed of 1 million kbs but you will only get 100kbs from rapid and yopur bbciplayer will still grind to a halt if millions of people are using it at same time etc etc etc.
Speed is highly contensious and a load of waffle