Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major drop in download speed

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: 2 days after a fixed fault broadband is slowing down again. Cmon

@weeally46  - @Gandalf is no longer on the Social Media team, but one of the others will probably pick this up for you.

John
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @weeally46,

I'm really sorry to hear that the speeds not improved much since the engineer visit. I've run a couple of tests on the line this evening and haven't been able to locate any underlying line faults at the moment. You've mentioned in the thread that you've been experiencing power cuts recently - are these still ongoing? We could get another engineer out to take a look into this, but it might be best if the source of the power cuts can be determined first and then resolved separately. The reason I bring this up is that the speeds you're currently receiving, whilst towards the low ends of the spectrum, are still within the expected range for your line. Dropping connections can often cause the lower speeds we're seeing a might explain the 12db SNRM.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Something is fishy here.  The occasional power fail ought not to cause the reported issue ... unless it is happening multiple times per day.

Which router are you using?  If the Plusnet Hub One, I would recommend downloading RouterStats for the BTHH5a and run 24x7 monitoring of the router stats, with a 10 second sampling interval.  Look only at the SNRM plot to determine if at times it is steady or a mess!

Also do QLT checks regularly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

weeally46
Rising Star

Hi @Townman 

You're right, something is not right.

What's really funny is there was 2 powercuts yesterday and the line is back to 6db and 18000kbps.

I'm using a Draytek Vigor 130 modem connected to a draytek 2860 doing the PPPOE part.

The landline has background hiss which gets louder sometimes, very intermittent.

weeally46
Rising Star

@TheMightyAJ It's the whole area that has a powercut not just my property.

weeally46
Rising Star

@Townman @TheMightyAJ @adamwalker Thats the line back to 12db at 14000kbps.

There is still a fault somewhere, the best speeds have been synced after a power outage.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @weeally46,

I'm really sorry to hear that's dropped back down again. Looking at the connection there were a number of drops yesterday afternoon - had you experienced any powercuts at that time?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
weeally46
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ  No powercuts, I did disconnect my modem for about 25 minutes to check and change settings for VLAN tag insertion.

The PPPoE would have been dropped as I set the network up and rebooted the router, the modem was connected to DSL the whole time after the first disconnect.

weeally46
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ I think the line is needing a DLM reset there are no errors at 12 db or 6db.

I've noticed my SNRM setting on my vigor 130 isn't being applied and the SNRM seem stuck at 12db.

I'm going to do some QLT throughout the day and confirm if there is intermittent noise on the phone line.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for confirming that @weeally46. It might be worth us waiting to put the DLM reset through until we can assess the QLT results - would you be happy to do that, or would you prefer I put it through now?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
weeally46
Rising Star

HI @TheMightyAJ 

I will check the QLT and get back to you, later today.

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, I'll keep an eye out Smiley

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@weeally46 wrote:

I think the line is needing a DLM reset there are no errors at 12 db or 6db.

I've noticed my SNRM setting on my vigor 130 isn't being applied and the SNRM seem stuck at 12db.

Having your modem seeking to override the DLM's setting of the SNRM is somewhat asking for trouble, especially if there is noise (REIN) involved.  It is not so much what the SNRM (MARGIN) is, but what speed is attained at a margin in the presence of noise.  You really need to determine what is happening here by keeping everything you can change unchanged.

Have you looked to see if you can run router stats with your modem?  If you cannot, can you work with the Plusnet Hub One, which will work with the BTHH5a version of router stats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

weeally46
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

I've done 4, 2 minute QL tests.

Two were completely clear and two had a random hiss for about five seconds.

Can you reset the DLM and see what the outcome is?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sure, I can put a request through now and we'll see how it goes. Going back to the powercuts for a moment, are they still occurring and if so, do we know what's causing them?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team