Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maintenance?

Bluesplayer
Grafter

Maintenance?

Hi
I run a home server and getting DNS errors being reported in Google Webmaster Tools. Having worked late in to the night on several occasions I have lost my broadband for periods of time. I put it down to maintenance on the line being carried out when most are suppose to be in bed, trouble is these disruptions are affecting my main site now in Google's all seeing eyes. Is this the case that maintenance / adjustments are carried out after midnight? If this is so is the business broadband also subjected to downtime or is there a way to keep my broadband always active?
Regards
Mark
2 REPLIES 2
avatastic
Grafter

Re: Maintenance?

Maintenance is sometimes unavoidable, what would probably be best is getting a Free VPS (or very cheap (I've heard of some that are about a quid a month) Nano VPS) (I can't recommend one I'm afraid, but I'm aware some do exist) and using that to provide backup/slave DNS servers so that your addresses are always resolvable.
You could probably use the same to reverse-proxy to your websites and serve up a custom error page for when your ADSL connection isn't responding.
Just a thought.
Cheers,
A.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Bluesplayer
Grafter

Re: Maintenance?

Good idea - will look in to it - also given me some ideas.
Cheers