cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Main line is damaged, fibre has been cancelled, plus net support is garbage

PaulKeeble

Main line is damaged, fibre has been cancelled, plus net support is garbage

The AF cable coming out of cabinet 88 in Woolwich is failing. There is water on the line and more than half of the copper pairs are now showing faults a few days after its wet (repeated disconnects etc). Speaking to other residents I am not the only one impacted in the area. Our saving grace was that FTTC was planned later this year. However when I asked BT when the roll out would be they responded yesterday to inform me that they had assessed it and decided not to roll out after all.
I now face the very real possibility of having absolutely zero broadband options whatsoever, in the heart of an estate right next to the new cross rail there is going to be a 150 household not spot, in London.
I can't get BT to even commit to repairing the cable, has anyone ever seen them go about doing this and how long it takes them to replace the cable going from the exchange to the cabinet?
Combined with all of this it takes plus net the better part of 2 weeks to get an engineer out everytime out latest copper pair fails. Which just means I have spent the last 3 months without reliable internet. But I think its far worse the threat I wont have anything whatsoever soon. I have no cable, no relish, nothing other than unreliable 3G and 4G (keeps cutting out and doesn't pass gaming UDP properly).
I think I need to move house, but with a contract to June you can see why I would be reluctant. Are their any magic words or such I can do to get BT and plus.net to take our plight seriously?
5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Main line is damaged, fibre has been cancelled, plus net support is garbage

Hi Paul,
A warm welcome to the forums.
It sounds like all of your issues are with BTOR and their wires and absence of a fibre rollout plan.  Unfortunately in some areas BTOR are failing badly and it can take days to get an appointment with their engineers.  PlusNet have limited escalation recourse when BTOR fail and when they do try to escalate, it all has to be relayed via India.
Do I need to say more?
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm sorry to hear about the issues your having.
I can see our Faults team have this in hand and we'll try to get it fixed as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
PaulKeeble

The faults team are looking at the individual problem but the very first engineer visit where I got to see the extent of the damage on the status board on the inside of the cabinet is now my bigger concern. 2 failed attempts to fix this due to the progressing damage no one seems to be talking about actually fixing the underlying problem. Moving me to another copper pair will last hours to weeks but in the end this cable is going to be dead in 3 months time and 150 households will be a not spot. An escalation in response to the problem is necessary, this isn't just me its an entire estate.
marialdn

I am being connected to PlusNet now and also experiencing the same issues.
Have looked this up and am on the same Woolwich exchange and using cabinet 88.
Will draw the attention of the engineer visiting the property on August 11 to the broader issue, but would like to see PlusNet take action and push BTOR as well.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Marialdn,
A warm welcome to the forums.
I am sure that PlusNet will be pushing the matter, the issue is that BTOR are in melt down arising for a long history of poor management and under-investment in maintenance.  The simple task of cutting back a tree to facilitate access to a telegraph pole can take (is taking) months and that's before they actually start working on the wires.
In my case I know that PlusNet have been / are working hard to deliver a solution, but BTOR have Teflon shoulders - nothing sticks - not even after escalation to CEO of BT Plc and BTOR does BTOR seem to move any faster.
I've raised a complaint of Ofcom, who are totally useless - they accept the record of the issue as a statistic but will not actually do anything.  It seems that no one has any clout over BTOR's incompetent service delivery.
Expect to see repeated visits from well meaning engineers - they are as frustrated as the end users about the inept middle management within BTOR - who seem incapable of managing plans for the bigger issues.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.