cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mac codes

skellie40

Mac codes

Hi people need some help i'm on o2 broadband on a LLU exchange and just signed up to plusnet fibre do i still need to give plusnet a mac code.
The reason i ask this question is because a friend has just gone from talktalk to o2 and did not have to supply a mac code.
many thanks for any help
sorry if i'm being a thicko
13 REPLIES 13
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Re: Mac codes

When I moved from TalkTalk LLU to PN i didn't need/wasn't asked for a MAC code
NedLudd
Grafter

Same for me when I moved from Sky LLU to PN! No MAC code needed.
Geoff,
York.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi skellie40,
Welcome to the community forum Smiley
You do not require a MAC code for your scenario.
Estragon
Rising Star

@Chris
A MAC is required!  Smiley
O2 LLU is SMPF, not MPF.
Estragon
Rising Star

@skellie40
You are not being a thicko, it's a valid question.
Who is your phone line rental with at the moment though? If it is with O2 you will need to move it somewhere fairly soon after migration of the broadband. And - you do need to get a MAC from O2, but do not give it Plusnet for 7 days from receipt.  O2 would charge you for early termination.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

I certainly don't understand the rules. When I moved from AOL to PN last June PN stressed the need for me to obtain my MAC. It arrived 3 days later.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

As a disinterested observer of this thread I cannot make sense of any of the answers given.  I think more explanation is required - and fewer acronyms. 
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi, apologies I read the post as a MPF line,
With MPF lines NO MAC key is required and that is the same for Virgin lines. Any SMPF or BT line would with active broadband WOULD require a MAC key.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If in any doubt, ask the existing providor for a MAC!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrisaplus

Hi!
Similar scenario, I've decided to escape from TalkTalk (after several years) and decided Plusnet looks like it's worth a go!  I keep finding conflicting advice online re. requesting a MAC (I'm not sure calling it a key is correct, but calling it a 'MAC code' is most certainly wrong!  however I digress...) so I asked TT for one anyway..  this was part of their reply:
"Your broadband and landline service is provided on TalkTalk’s (fully unbundled) network. In order to transfer your service to another provider in the first instance the line needs to be transferred to BT."
Oh and they also stated I didn't need a MAC.
Now, since they told me there was nothing wrong with my line after it had been dead for some days (broken wire in the cable some 50mm below the box outside my house) and told me I'd have to wait another 3 weeks before an engineer could come & look at it, I'm not inclined to believe they could recognise the difference between the proverbial arse & elbow.
So, can I sit back & let Plusnet do everything?  I haven't actually told TT anything, all I requested was a MAC from them.  Actually, last time they phoned I told them I didn't want to talk to them & hung up... but that's the conclusion to a long tale of woe that concludes with my considered opinion that if they had done absolutely nothing (they did nothing to repair the line, BT did that!) then I'd have been happier with them,
Any advice, amusing tales or stottie pizza recipes gratefully accepted  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No pizza recipes, but do check you are not still tied in a contract, and do make sure you give them the minimum notice required under their Ts&Cs.
Watch they don't try and block your transfer, has been done before, and they may try and stop you taking your phone number if it was issued by them. If you migrated into them with your current number, and it was a BT one in the first place, they have no right, so be on your guard.
You don't need to transfer your phone to BT first either, it can/should be a simultaneous provide, make sure you mention that when you order.
As w23 said, if in doubt, ask for a MAC key.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

For once TalkTalk's information about the need for a MAC is correct - you don't need one when moving from fully unbundled to Plusnet (BT based line) broadband and phone.
A different type of order is involved but Plusnet will generate that.
David
chrisaplus

Thanks guys!
Phone was switched over last night, which left me a little concerned until I got the text saying the broadband was activated this morning.
I'm pretty sure I'm out of contract with talktalk as I've been with them several years & have repeatedly refused their offers to sign up for any new ones!
I'll see what they try to stick on the final bill.. should be amusing Smiley