cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MSN

uptolate

MSN

Can anybody tell me how to limit kids access to MSN / windows live messenger?
5 REPLIES 5
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: MSN

in what respect do you mean to limit? Stop access completely, or just certain messages / parts.
If its the latter, I dont think it can be done.
Scott
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's difficult.
You can block the web sites via router or by putting them into your hosts file.
However, their "friends" will tell them that they can use one of an infinite variety of proxies to get access.
The best way is to uninstall as much as possible, after un-subscribing them from these services - causes lots of tears etc.
I've done this with my teenager and facebook, MSN, myspace - in fact as many places as M$ / Google seem to see as money making opportunities.
If you look at the information they have given out (aggregated with their list of "friends") you will see that 1984 has already arrived.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

itlity
Grafter

As mentioned above, I don't think there is a solution for your question: I'd like to have it!
My router also allows me to limit the access to Internet or rather applications on a per IP address and port basis. Never used it.
I told my children that we have a fixed IP address, so if they do anything wrong, it would be quite easy to find us. Now the issue is that if they want to get rid of their dad, I have offered them an attractive solution!
On another hand, there exist a -free- Windows SteadyState which may help you to control that situation: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx
I have looked at it but not yet installed it.
Patrice
Tony_W
Grafter

There are programs available which will block access to messengers, myspace, youtube etc. - and stop proxy access to them.
I am not allowed to advertise by the rules of the forum, but my company sells such a product.
*** Moderators - I can post a web address to the relevant software? ***
My advice is to use Google search (or MSN search) for things like 'block windows live messenger' or 'block proxy sites'.
James
Grafter

You could buy an Ellacoya and a Juniper ERX and then block all traffic tagged as instant messaging.
Bit of an expensive solution though, sorry Smiley