Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MC Afee / Microsoft issues

riccardob
Grafter

MC Afee / Microsoft issues

Hi,
I am one of the customers which cannot access the internet due to the latest mc afee or windows updates.
The call centre have told me that I should try to do a system restore and / or mc afee uninstall.
Can anyone here confirm exactly what is necessary?
do not think I should be doing both and also once mc afee downloads the updates isn't the problem going to reappear?
I am accessing the internet via another laptop which does not have mc afee but I want my main computer to work.
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: MC Afee / Microsoft issues

I would uninstall McAfee and install something better Avira, MSE, AVG are all available as a free option
custos
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

If you must use Windows then use microsoft security essentials - it is free and works well.
PS: Is this topic in the correct place?
riccardob
Grafter

I was thinking of using avg but the free option does not have a firewall, only antivirus.
Also i am worried that in the time lag between uninstalling mc afee and installing a new antivirus, my computer could become infected. Is there any way of avoiding this problem?
thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

McAfee have already patched the problem so you can uninstall/reinstall then open the McAfee control panel via the system tray and check for updates. That should work. Give it a go and let me know how you get on ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: riccardob
I was thinking of using avg but the free option does not have a firewall, only antivirus.

The Windows firewall is perfectly fine, has been for the past 8 years.  I wouldn't recommend AVG any more though.
Quote from: riccardob
Also i am worried that in the time lag between uninstalling mc afee and installing a new antivirus, my computer could become infected. Is there any way of avoiding this problem?

Disconnect from the Internet.  Set your web browser to open without loading a home page.  Make sure that when you uninstall Mcafee you re-engage the Windows firewall.  Re-connect to the internet.  Open your web browser without add-ons.  Enter the address of the supplier of the new security software directly in the address bar of your web browser.  Download it, install it, update it and run a scan with it.     
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

You could download and save the installer for the new AV before uninstalling the old.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I always recommend doing that.
BRABUS
Grafter

I am with ejs and Jim.  I go one step further though and once I am ready to uninstall I alays disable wifi or unplug the ethernet cable.  You will of course have to connect later for the updates but there is now good basic protection in place while you are getting the updates.